Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Gmail alternate server (aspmx.l.google.com) no longer open?

I have several clients that have moved over to google apps, their MFD's are scanning to email through either smtp.gmail.com with SSL authentication and valid account details, or through aspmx.l.google.com for the machines that will not do SSL.

Up until recently this has worked fine, however I am now finding machines that will no longer connect to or send email via the aspmx server. I can ping the IP address that it resolves to from the machine, but a connection test will fail, and the smtp connection times out when I try to scan. It's as if google has closed the server, or more likely closed port 25. I can't find any documentation to confirm this though.

I have tested the machines on other smtp servers, and they work, but it is not the ideal solution.

Anyone else experienced issues with this particular mail server?

Re: Gmail alternate server (aspmx.l.google.com) no longer open?

I can resolve the name to the IP 173.194.65.27, you could try the direct approach first, if the connection goes through then you have a DNS problem. If it doesn't go through, recheck your settings, but the ISP may be blocking port 25.

Cerulean

The only thing you can do is send the error message to Gmail support team.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Firstly I find it interesting that aspmx.l.google.com is open without authentication, how does google know if the e-mail is legitimate or spam? Maybe they somehow know the customers internet IP and allow relaying through that

I've also found you can only scan back to e-mail addresses associated with that google apps business account, and it also appears that you need to be using google apps for business for this to work.

I last time I used aspmx.l.google.com would've been a month ago and it worked.

Very confused

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ruben is correct. There are a number of ISPs (ATT is one of them) who block all port 25 smtp activity. This is supposed to block the spread of malware. I have also encountered cases of ISPs blocking port 465 (SSL Port) to any SMTP server other than their own. If this is the case, find out what the email address and password associated with the ISP account setup and send through their secure SMTP server. Alternatively, setup an email account with GoDaddy or some other email provider who uses port 80 as an alternate smtp port.

Technician

I gave up using google, no end of problems. Mainly being the low end Canon machines we are selling lots of at the moment do not support SSL.

For small customers without on-site exchange I now use a free sendgrid.net account (200 emails per day limit on free account), I have it in place in dozens of customers and never have a single problem.

Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

I have to use Gmail sometimes to relay mail through because many customers don't have their own email servers and their local ISP is some off-the-wall company where you can't get it to go through, or get a hold of anyone intelligent.

I'm not familiar with the aspmx server but I thought I'd share what I know, regardless.

So, I create the company a Gmail account and here's how I set it up:

smtp.gmail.com
    Port 465 or 587
    Requires SSL and Authentication

Depending on what brand of machine, some of the email settings may differ but this is the general setup. The problem with Gmail is you have to clear out the "sent" items folder in Gmail once in a while or it may become full, or Gmail might suspend the account. We've run into this.

I've set this up on Konica, Lexmark and Muratec units. It usually works fine but can be flaky, probably because the sent items folder becomes full. ?

I really don't like using Gmail but there aren't many options out there, unfortunately.

Oh, really? Is it an open relay server (port 25) or do you need an account? (Authentication)

Can you list what smtp settings look like? Does it matter what "from" address you use?

Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HDSB View Post
    Create an account on GMX.com (i usually go for companynamescans@gmx.com and the details are:

smtp.gmx.com
    port 25
    authentication - gmx email address and password
    admin email address - gmx email address

optional: DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
    Do they allow smtp to port 80? I rn into problems with ISP that block port 25 to all smtp servers except their own.

I keep thinking it might be a good idea for our company to host it's own email server if a customer does not have any other option. Just build it in to their service contract. This way, we would know the settings and it would take all the annoying guess-work out of things which would make my life a LOT easier in the field. I probably battle scanning related issues more than anything else. Very frustrating when you walk into an account blind and try to figure it out on site when the customer has no IT support. Welcome to my world.