Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Can't scan hostname

Can't scan hostname

Yes I know about dns

when scan to hostname positively, absolutely won't work, what's the reason?

Cheap router? Computer configuration?

Re: Can't scan hostname

Are the devices on the same subnet? If not then direct resolution will not work, you will need a router or DNS server to resolve the name. Instead of using hostname; why not set to static IP outside of DHCP range?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Just had a newer Konica instlal do this. I would blame machine firmware.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar

some low end Konica's need the hostname in all caps for hostname scanning. Otherwise dns configuration or blocked ports/firewall issue. Try the last dns entry as 8.8.8.8 and see if that works. Otherwise dhcp mac reservation so computers always have same IP.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Document Technologies Pro 100+ Posts

DNS cannot lookup/resolve hostname if IP works and hostname doesn't. Ensure your DNS configuration is good. Try a temporary DHCP setup on the device to see what the DHCP service at the router configures the device DNS and domain name if there is one.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Can't scan hostname

If they have a cheap router, I'm willing to bet DHCP reservation is your fix. And 7 out of 10 times, that NetGear or Linksys is using the factory default password. You do this, and they won't call back again unless they change routers

Computer configuration? This is sounding more like the guy with the cheap router. I've caught this type of customer naming his PC and laptop both John-PC, so we can't vouch for his "configuration".

If it's a big outfit, when I'm on that call with their IT guy, one of my tests is to plug in IP addresses instead of hostnames; if it's the cure I let them figure it out from there.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If you are scanning to a hostname on your network 8.8.8.8 will not work, you will need the IP address of your internal DNS for it to work.

8.8.8.8 is an external DNS and will not pick up stuff on your network.

The other thing is to replace the hostname with the IP address of said hostname, that will more than likely work.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

What type of network setup is it? Domain? Workgroup? Something else?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Can't scan hostname

I had the same issue at my last call today. It was a pretty big network at a hospital and all 3 DNS connections were successful, but it wouldn't resolve the name until I entered in the WINS server. I usually just put in the 1st DNS server I get off of DHCP under WINS, but since ipconfig had a different server for WINS I used it and my scans started working.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Can't scan hostname

If the hostname of the server/computer is in a different subnet or VLAN then you need to enter it into the DNS, so the DNS server can actually resolve it to an IP.

If you're using a Windows Server as your DNS then once the hostname is in the DNS you may then need to use it's FQN (fully qualified domain name), e.g. hostname.local or hostname.company.local depending on how things are setup there. The I.T. rep should do this and provide the relevant info.

If the customer just has a hardware based DNS like an all in one router/modem/switch then enter the hostname into the DNS of that device, so the DNS server can then resolve the hostname request.

If everything is on the same network and there is no other subnet or VLAN then I'd still suggest entering in the hostname into the DNS if you're having issues.

Hopefully this makes sense