Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts +ve charge's Avatar

MP4500 using WINDOWS 7 (64BIT) cannot scan?

Hi Knowledge Base... My computer (using Windows Xp) which was connected to a Ricoh MP4500 (B&W) copier used to scan and print without any issues. Recently I have upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate (64bit) and now I cannot enable scanning. Can print though .
    Please guide me through the steps needed to enable scanning as well. Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: MP4500 using WINDOWS 7 (64BIT) cannot scan?

The machine requires a firmware upgrade to scan to Windows 7, which uses a more secure version of the SMB/CIFS protocol (SMB2). There are plenty of posts on the site for this issue.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    MP4500 using WINDOWS 7 (64BIT) cannot scan?

Exclamation Re: MP4500 using WINDOWS 7 (64BIT) cannot scan?

If you're interested in purchasing the firmware, email me at Paul@justmanuals.com

Re: MP4500 using WINDOWS 7 (64BIT) cannot scan?

Make sure the firmware is up to date. When setting up the scan folder give it Read and Change permissions under Sharing -> Advanced Sharing, and Security -> Edit -> Add -> Enter everyone in the box and Check Names. Give that user Modify and Read permissions at least.

If you have a username (either with or without a password) you need to enter that for folder authentication. If you don't know your username, open a command prompt and use the "set user" command; copy the username exactly, including spaces.

If you are on a domain then qualify the username with the domain, e.g. domain\username or username@domain.

You may need to lower the folder encryption setting to 56-bit under Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings -> Whatever profile you are using.

If still failing, check anti-virus and firewalls, disable all including the Windows built in (which you shouldn't be using if you have another running).