Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Setting up printing from MAC using Linux drivers but drivers grayed out & can't open.

Setting up printing from MAC using Linux drivers but drivers grayed out & can't open.

Hello, I am trying to set up printing from a MAC OSX 10.8.4 to a Ricoh MP C3503 without the PostScript option installed.
    I found the Linux drivers and installed them. However, when I try to click on them in the set-up procudeure the files are grayed out. As a matter of fact, all the files in the user's downloads file are grayed out.
    I cannot figure out how to un-gray them. Could anyone lead me in the right direction. I have been in the Gatekeeper and all looks set up properly there.

Re: Setting up printing from MAC using Linux drivers but drivers grayed out & can't o

Best get the PostScript option, saves you a lot of time and problems in the long run. If they can afford a Mac, they can afford the PS option.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Setting up printing from MAC using Linux drivers but drivers grayed out & can't o

Have to agree with Ruben: native printing in Linux is done through CUPS just like on a Mac so your best bet is to have PostScript. Any other method is just going to cause issues and you're not going to get OEM support if things go awry so make the customer happy, make your life easier, and the sales guy's wallet a little fatter and get PostScript in there...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As others have said the PostScript option is best. Does Ricoh have any non PS Mac drivers you can use?

Try taking a look here, there may be some PCL drivers you could use:
    http://http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ricoh does make a PPD Installer but only for OS X 10.5 thru 10.8.

Apple does have a generic PCL driver on some it's OS's. It does allow you to print B/W withut any whistles or bells.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thanks, but I need to show them first whether the Linux driver will work or not. Then we can negotiate the Postscript option.

I now have realized that the installed driver is no longer in the downloads folder and am trying to figure out where it was placed.

Then I will get it and install it. I really don't know Mac well enough it appears...