Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Failure to auto-grab an IP address using DHCP network setting in a printer

Re: Failure to auto-grab an IP address using DHCP network setting in a printer

You mentioned that the MAC address was registered. Make certin that the proper MAC was entered. Also, make certain that it was registered as an allowed MAC and not a blocked MAC. If the DHCP server is a network server and not a router, be sure to enter the proper domain name on the printer. The usual procedure for using DHCP is to let the DHCP find the device without registering it first. After the device has an IP address, merely set the DHCP to reserve the IP address to the connected device. Also check firewall settings on the network and the settings on an manageable switches.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    I Also I've had some strange issues that were resolved by disabling SNMP.
    Most likely some network monitoring software was polling the device causing issues and disabling SNMP would've stopped this from occurring.

The problem with disabling SNMP is that if there is a server based meter read capturing software, it's going to cut off the link to capture the meter reads, toner status etc.

This is a rather interesting issue, hopefully the OP will report back to us if they happen to find a fix. I think the I.T. reps at the company in question need to look into things on their end too. All to often I.T. reps pass the blame onto the printer people when in fact it's an issue on their end.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    Most likely some network monitoring software was polling the device causing issues and disabling SNMP would've stopped this from occurring.

The problem with disabling SNMP is that if there is a server based meter read capturing software, it's going to cut off the link to capture the meter reads, toner status etc.

This is a rather interesting issue, hopefully the OP will report back to us if they happen to find a fix. I think the I.T. reps at the company in question need to look into things on their end too. All to often I.T. reps pass the blame onto the printer people when in fact it's an issue on their end.
    Agreed. It looks like disabling SNMP is not a good option. The people from IT team / server team tend to pass the problem to the printer end and I'd came across quite a no of them. Sometimes, they may not even know how to go about solving it. Their knee-jerk reaction is to push the problem to the people who manage the printers as the data passes through the machines. What we can do is to get the correct information or evidence & ask them to take the necessary action after we have done our part by troubleshooting the machines. If an obstacle is met, we can approach the Manager who takes charge of the fleet for advice and direction.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

With the copy machine disconnected, do a CMD from the Windows Start Menu. Ping the proposed static IP address to make sure there are no other machines on the network with that IP address. Then do an ipconfig/all of the computer you are on, note all of the parameters such as the IP address (similar range as the static you just ping'd), Subnet Mask, DNS Server(s), Default Gateway, DHCP Server, etc. Copy these parameters to your MFP. Restart the machine and check the parameters you just entered to see if they stuck. If so, then go back to the computer to see if you can ping the MFP, if you can, you can probably go ahead and install the print drivers.

Good Luck!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If you have an inexpensive router, I'd take it to the location and plug the printer directly into the router and see if it gets a DHCP address. If it can't get a DHCP address when directly connected to a DHCP-enabled router, then you know the issue lies entirely within the printer.

Also, have you tried different Ethernet jacks at the location?

I know you have tested with a laptop, but I have seen one location where a Sharp copier couldn't get on the network, while a laptop could, when using the same network jack. I'm guessing that the laptop NIC has more fault tolerance or some OS feature that corrected any problems.

In the above case, we tried multiple Ethernet jacks and the copier couldn't get on the network at all. However, when we plugged the copier directly into the router, it obtained a DHCP address without issues. We also plugged it directly into the switch which the router connects to and it worked perfectly fine. The customer ended up running a new cable and things worked fine.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ceechtay View Post
    ... I know you have tested with a laptop, but I have seen one location where a Sharp copier couldn't get on the network, while a laptop could, when using the same network jack. I'm guessing that the laptop NIC has more fault tolerance or some OS feature that corrected any problems. ...
    I came across this same thing on an MX-5111N. The laptop connected fine, but the Sharp copier would not. After wasting a good hour trying to connect on jack #1, I eventually tried jack #2 and it worked. The cheap and easy answer was to place a 5-port network switch and split jack #2.

A network drop may very well have solved the problem, but I didn't really see any point in diagnosing it any further. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Is the correct software package installed on the correct computers correctly? I don't know about Fuji Xerox, but I know that's how HP makes this work.

Rats. I would like to personally apologize for using the word "correct" that many times in one sentence. Still, if you can, see if the software is on the computers, it might not be a machine or a network fault.