Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Failure to auto-grab an IP address using DHCP network setting in a printer

As we know, an IP address needs to be created by the server team when a static or manual network settings is used to configure an IP address in a printer. Recently, when we switched to the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) setting to auto-grab an IP address from the subnet, the printer (Fuji Xerox Apeos350, 450 & 550 category / 1st generation printer) failed to detect so even though the port was enabled and the MAC address registered. The problem was that the control panel screen was hanged and the interrupt light button blinked. The printer could only return to the normal condition after the network cable was disconnected. I heard that it was caused by the incompatibility of protocol in the printer. Could anyone enlighten or advise on how to tackle this kind of problem?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Wen Le; 09-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Failure to auto-grab an IP address using DHCP network setting in a printer

Does this happen if you set the IP details into the device as static? How was the device setup on the network prior to your changes?

It's rather unlikely if the IP address is reserved, but have you checked to see if there is another device on the network with same IP? Though this shouldn't' cause the device to freeze like you mentioned, usually it would just drop off the network and give a fault code, but anything is possible.

Also is there any network management/monitoring software that could be polling the device? I once heard a story where a fleet of MFP's were freezing due to a network management/monitoring program constantly polling the devices for network related information.

If possible try updating the firmware.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    Does this happen if you set the IP details into the device as static? How was the device setup on the network prior to your changes?

It's rather unlikely if the IP address is reserved, but have you checked to see if there is another device on the network with same IP? Though this shouldn't' cause the device to freeze like you mentioned, usually it would just drop off the network and give a fault code, but anything is possible.

Also is there any network management/monitoring software that could be polling the device? I once heard a story where a fleet of MFP's were freezing due to a network management/monitoring program constantly polling the devices for network related information.

If possible try updating the firmware.
    There was no problem when we tried using a laptop to auto-grab an IP address from the port. We have tried at 3 printers of same model category at 3 different locations / levels and the same problem occurred. This problem does not happen when manual or static configuration is used. There is also no problem to auto-grab an IP address when the model is APC2200 as well as another latest model during DHCP testing.

I don't think there is another device with the same IP address. I am not sure whether there is any monitoring software that could be polling the device. If there is, the other model APC2200 should also have the same problem.

It is not possible to update or upgrade the firmware anymore as this is the first generation printer. This is also true when our request to upgrade the firmware of an old model hand-phone is always turned down. No latest version is available.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

So let me ask you this: Why not use a static address? You'll have a lot less problems in the future if you set your MFP's to static addresses.

So just use a free utility like NetScan to check for dupes, then assign a static address. Voila. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Well this is an interesting problem. I've never come across this particular issue on that family of device. I'd still advise to set the address as static, as mentioned above you will get less issues, and I know with the devices you're having troubles with that they do tend to drop off the network or DNS troubles from time to time using DHCP when coming out of a deep sleep mode.

Have you tried using just DHCP or did you give DHCP/Autonet a go? I doubt swapping them around will make much of a difference. It could be that the problematic devices just don't like what the DHCP server is sending down, though this is highly unusual. What is the DHCP server? A Windows server or a switch with DHCP capabilities?

Once again check to see if there is any duplicate IP's or if the MAC addresses are assigned to multiple IP's.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

then assign a static address. Voila.
    .....hopefully not within the DHCP range of the router that's why I always try to use the high numbers in the last octet such as xxx.xxx.xxx.200 and upwards.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    .....hopefully not within the DHCP range of the router that's why I always try to use the high numbers in the last octet such as xxx.xxx.xxx.200 and upwards.

Hans
    Yup very good practice that I'm sure blackcat would follow.

I've seen an entire subnet as a DHCP scope once

Technician

It is the bank recent practice to stop using manual and start using DHCP when a printer is relocated to a certain port. The reason is that it is quite troublesome and more admin work to be done such as submitting a request form and going through several layers of approval etc. when applying for a IP address (manual). It is not my decision, anyway. Since the printer is having a problem with DHCP, the staff would have to apply through the server team and request for manual configuration.
    The engineer tried using DHCP, DHCP (autonet) and other options but the same problem occurred.
    I don't know what type of server the server team is using. If we think that the server is causing a problem, their staff might argue that APC220 and new model can auto-grab the IP address.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wen Le View Post
    It is the bank recent practice to stop using manual and start using DHCP when a printer is relocated to a certain port. The reason is that it is quite troublesome and more admin work to be done such as submitting a request form and going through several layers of approval etc. when applying for a IP address (manual). It is not my decision, anyway. Since the printer is having a problem with DHCP, the staff would have to apply through the server team and request for manual configuration.
    The engineer tried using DHCP, DHCP (autonet) and other options but the same problem occurred.
    I don't know what type of server the server team is using. If we think that the server is causing a problem, their staff might argue that APC220 and new model can auto-grab the IP address.
    I've had similar experiences with other financial institutions. I cannot access the machines web inteface, because the network browser blocks that IP. I'm asked to diagnose scanning problems yet the IT staff will not grant access to the MFP settings or the credentials. Sometimes the machines admin password is changed. Now it's so secure I can't do anything. And neither can the endusers.

I don't envy your situation. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wen Le View Post
    If they assign a reserved IP address then enter that IP as a static IP. Also I've had some strange issues that were resolved by disabling SNMP.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations