Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh connectivity help

Hi everyone, I need help with odd issue.
    One of my clients are using Rex-Rotary 4502 (Aficio 1045) with network printing. The message "ethernet board has a problem" appear on the machine and it prints occasionally (depending on job size)
    These are the thing I have done:
    1. I have exchanged NIC, problem still there. The old NIC still works.
    2. I then exchanged Main controller, the problem is still there. And yes, the Main contrller still works.
    3. I decided to experiment with another copier right beside it, and swapped the NIC board (along with the cable) . The problem then shifted to another machine.

So from here, I'm aware its not the machine's fault. While the company IT admin is helpful, neither of us have a clue what causes this issue. Any suggestions?
    Customer: "Can you show how to print color in a black and white machine?" O.o

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Ricoh connectivity help

Maybe there are two devices on the network with the same IP-adress. If the IP-adress of the machine is in the lease list of the DCHP-server, then the DHCP-server can assign the IP-adress of the machine to another device. That means that there are two devices with the same IP-adress on the same Subnet, and that causes problems.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity help

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    Maybe there are two devices on the network with the same IP-adress. If the IP-adress of the machine is in the lease list of the DCHP-server, then the DHCP-server can assign the IP-adress of the machine to another device. That means that there are two devices with the same IP-adress on the same Subnet, and that causes problems.
    pull the net cable out of the copier and then ping the copier IP, if you get a response you have the issue Eric1968 describes, if you get RTO thats probably not the case. Are they pushing POE (power over ethernet) on the network? Try putting a switch between the drop and the copier....
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Technician
    Tried that.. there is no ip conflict.. as for wiring, it goes to wall socket then to switches itself.
    there is nothing between switch and machine. I changed the cable, still the same. They tried with their laptop and it seems fine

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity help

Sorry I just have a number of questions:

Have you tried just connecting a laptop directly to the MFP via a network cable (possibly may need a crossover cable) and see if they problem still occurs?

Do you get any timeouts when pinging the MFP, via the network or directly from your laptop?

Is this the only MFP with the problem? (I can see you switched the NIC to another MFP)

Has this problem always been there or has it just come up recently?

When you changed the NIC did the MAC address change, or is it one of those MAC addresses that the MFP holds onto as it's hard coded onto the main board?

Could there be any network monitoring software continuously polling the MFP, which in turn grinds it to a halt? (This seems unlikely).

Thanks.
    Last edited by ApeosMan; 09-22-2013 at 12:26 AM.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity help

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    Sorry I just have a number of questions:

Have you tried just connecting a laptop directly to the MFP via a network cable (possibly may need a crossover cable) and see if they problem still occurs?

Do you get any timeouts when pinging the MFP, via the network or directly from your laptop?

Is this the only MFP with the problem? (I can see you switched the NIC to another MFP)

Has this problem always been there or has it just come up recently?

When you changed the NIC did the MAC address change, or is it one of those MAC addresses that the MFP holds onto as it's hard coded onto the main board?

Could there be any network monitoring software continuously polling the MFP, which in turn grinds it to a halt? (This seems unlikely).

Thanks.
    Well I don't no of any Ricoh nic's that don't have there own mac address's. That's an international standard as far as I know. But ApeosMan is right on with the other things listed ! Again I would put a switch between the drop (wall outlet) and the mfp and see if that helps.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh connectivity help

You said that you swapped the NIC board along with the cable into anoither machine and the problem moved to the other machine. Have you tried just the cable?

Technician

@slimbob: i tried swap the cable and it still doesnt work.

@tonerbomb: you mean put a switch between the wall socket and the MFP? i didnt try that yet but if there is no other solution i''l try on that, but sure if there is any impact on their network monitoring software.

@ApeosMan:
    @q1: no i did not try with cross cable, usually i test the print using straight cable back in my company's workshop

@q2: no timeout when i ping using network. It also responds according when I unplugged and replug the cable as well as restart the machine when I testing for IP conflict.

@q3: yes. that's the only MFP with that particular problem. Original problem is at with MFP B. Interesting to note that when I move the NIC from MFP A to MFP B ,both shows the same issue when I plug it back using respective cable (port) but when I swap the port (now same port is connected to same NIC but different MFP) the problem shows in MFP A and MFP B works just fine. I also switched with another NIC which I tested before, same problem still occurs and the best part is the old NIC function perfectly fine in my company's workshop!

@q4: Not entirely sure. The problem did surface a while ago but they were upgrading their system and check to see if the cable within the walls is responsible. Not sure what they did, but the problem disappear after that (something like coincidence solution ). Now it rises again.

@q5: i didnt check on that. I'll reconfirm at site. I though the MAC address is bind to the NIC card itself. Not sure if its relevant, I did change the main controller unit before though but didn't change the memory chip, i fix back the old one so the setting didn't go away.

@q6: they do have network monitoring system but they didn't put in any form of restriction, just monitoring as per my understanding. Not sure if its relevant, the print server insists that it has 5 held jobs but didnt print any when i somehow manage to get it running. I'm basically stuck with 2 MFP where only 1 of them can print at a time.

Last edited by wizardjimmy; 09-22-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Change content in q5.

Technician
    I apologise for the very late reply as I though I have made a reply.

Update: the problem seems to dissappear again and users can print again regardless. Both side (network admin and myself) didn't make any fixes but hey since its working back, don't middle with it.

SMB scan blocked by Kaspersky 2014

Trying to scan from Ricoh MFP to Win7 using Kaspersky 2014. If I drop the firewall scan works ok. Not sure how to enter settings into Kaspersky firewall settings to allow SMB. Any help would be great.