Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rchdesk View Post
    Unisys.
    Thanks. I'l try that as soon as possible, but what did you use for packet capture, ethereal?. Do you have any info or manual to interpret the packets?. I'm using ethereal but as much as I can identify, I don't see any problem in the communication establishment.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's ethereal, but in it's newer state as "Wireshark". Same great program. Not very familiar with Ethereal, so I couldn't give a comparison. And no, unfortunately I don't have any way to know what all those packets are off hand. What I will do when I see something in a capture that I cannot identify is later I will do a Wikipedia search on the protocol. That usually leads to the info I need to understand whats going on.

In this case, when looking at the capture, I saw the MFP trying to communicate with the Exchange Server 4 separate times. Then I would see a rest packet from the Exchange Servers IP, followed by the machine declaring the error. In the capture, the Exchange servers return info had a lot more info tagged to it, like the name "bellsouth.net". So I asked if that was there ISP and when they said yes... Walla!

After inputing the Bellsouth.net SMTP server info in place of the exchange server info (finding this by pinging mail.bellsouth.net), then placing their default bellsouth account email (finding this by taking their current email name form and adding bellsouth.net in place of their domain. Lucky, I know!) as the admin email address, it worked fine.

One more tip, since your doing packet captures as well, make sure your using a hub and not a switch either. Not saying that you are, but since packet captures came up in the conversation, I thought it should be dully noted for others who might read this later. That always seems to throw people, me included when I first started doing them.

IT Technician 100+ Posts fausto1981's Avatar
    Same thing here, I have heard of Ethereal but I wouldn't know where to look.

Thanks

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    I had this same problem awhile back. I went back and forth with the ISP and ended up having to use SMB. While it's very inconvenient it might be a temporary option at least.

JohnO
    We ran into something similar with a Ricoh Aficio 1060. I was Googling around and found this note.

The problem appeared after a network change. The SMTP mail server was at a remote site connected through a router. After a network change, the Ricoh could no longer communicate with the remote SMTP server. PCs could. We configured a local SMTP server on the same subnet as the Ricoh, and the Ricoh could send email to the local server. I think the Ricoh was not able to adjust its packet size smaller than 1500 bytes, and therefore communications with the remote mail server failed, while a 1500 byte packet communication with a local mail server worked fine.

I am a network person, not a Ricoh person, and am wondering if the vendor has any software/firmware update that might resolve this issue. Also - Can I check the current version of the software through the web interface?

Thanks,

John

IT Technician 100+ Posts fausto1981's Avatar