Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Support Desk 50+ Posts SlipperyCat's Avatar

Cool How to install 64bit driver on 32bit server

(Adding additional 64bit driver under the sharing option while on a 32bit OS)

1. Load 32bit driver on server and share.
    2. Go to a local 64 bit PC* and add driver from server.
    3. When it asks for driver (because you are on a 64bit PC) browse to folder where 64bit driver software is located.
    4. When it installs it pushes 64bit driver back to 32bit server.
    5. Check driver on server under additional drivers (sharing tab) to make sure it worked.

Note:

*You must log in on local PC with admin rights and sometimes domain admin. Depends on their network.

If anyone knows of an easier way please let me know. This is always a pain in the rear.
    Last edited by SlipperyCat; 10-05-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: More clarification

Re: How to install 64bit driver on 32bit server

Looks like you are jumping between steps. Install the 32-bit driver, under sharing add it to additional drivers for 64-bit systems; then install it on the client PCs. If you install it through the share name (or Active Directory, if you added it) it will pick up the correct driver automatically.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    How to install 64bit driver on 32bit server

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    Looks like you are jumping between steps. Install the 32-bit driver, under sharing add it to additional drivers for 64-bit systems; then install it on the client PCs. If you install it through the share name (or Active Directory, if you added it) it will pick up the correct driver automatically.
    Apparently some people don't know about installing additional drivers on servers. You can even do additional drivers on workstations with shared printers in a workgroup or homegroup with a mix of 323 bit and 64 bit. Oh, and he might not know that the x86 the Additional Drivers window are for 32 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't work though because when you try to add the additional 64bit driver to a 32bit OS you get the unsupported architecture error. That's why I have had to use the trick I described.

I do know that 32bit refers to x86. Been in this business 18 years. lol

Unless I'm on crack, it just isn't as easy as you described. Now, if you're on a 64bit server and try to add the additional 32bit driver it works fine at the server level.

Am I missing something here? If so, I'm humble enough to admit it but I've always run into issues loading additional 64bit drivers on a 32bit OS.

?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Apparently some people don't know about installing additional drivers on servers. You can even do additional drivers on workstations with shared printers in a workgroup or homegroup with a mix of 323 bit and 64 bit. Oh, and he might not know that the x86 the Additional Drivers window are for 32 bit.
    With all due respect I know that man. lol And, you can do that all day long if you're on a 64bit server, adding a 32bit additional driver under the sharing tab, but not the other way around very easily.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyCat View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't work though because when you try to add the additional 64bit driver to a 32bit OS you get the unsupported architecture error. That's why I have had to use the trick I described.

?
    I've loaded thousands of print drivers in my time. Many a time I've successfully managed to load 64bit 'additional drivers' to a 32bit printer share. If you're getting errors then maybe there is an issue with driver versions between the 32bit and 64bit drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    I've loaded thousands of print drivers in my time. Many a time I've successfully managed to load 64bit 'additional drivers' to a 32bit printer share. If you're getting errors then maybe there is an issue with driver versions between the 32bit and 64bit drivers.
    Perhaps. I just know it seldom works for me so that's why I posted the work-around. If it works for you great! If not, and I can't explain why it wouldn't, then there ya go. Printers are the devil regardless.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

The problem that you are having is when manufacturers don't write their 32Bit and 64Bit drivers correctly.

When the problem occurs, you will normally get an error which asks for the x86 or x64 media which contains the ntprint.inf file.

When manufacturers write their drivers correctly, it is as simple as adding the driver via the Sharing tab and clicking on Addition Drivers. When you say you are getting an error saying something along the line of "Unsupported Architecture", this is normally shown when you try to add the driver using the standard Add Print Wizard or right clicking on the .INF within the driver and selecting install.

In an Active Directory environment, you must be logged on the local workstation as a Domain Admin because you need rights to publish the files on to the server.

I would always try adding 32Bit or 64Bit additional drivers through the sharing tab (unless it is on a print server running the Print Management role which makes things easier again) and if there is an error, then fall back on to installing the driver on a local PC and then adding the additional driver.

You just never know when you are going to come accross this, but try the easier way first and save youself 10 Minutes.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

This was an issue with server 2000/2003 (32 bit) and the influx of 64 bit win7 workstations. The workaround was to push the driver back to the server from the workstation as you stated. Haven't seen this issue since the release of server 2008. Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    This was an issue with server 2000/2003 (32 bit) and the influx of 64 bit win7 workstations. The workaround was to push the driver back to the server from the workstation as you stated. Haven't seen this issue since the release of server 2008. Emujo
    Yes, I don't see it on 2008 either but apparently there are a ton of people still using 2003 server.

BTW, I see this most with Konica drivers, which are probably some of the worst drivers written, I agree! I don't have issues with Lexmark, HP, or any others that much.

Konica builds a great copier but their network cards and print drivers can't live up to other manufacturers through my experience.