Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician

Windows 8.1 Update breaks SMB protocol.

Hi,my name is Ronald Rivera Account Executive for InternationalDigitalSolutions.
    We are Wholesale of Copiers, Supplies and Partsfor Sharp, Canon, Ricoh,Minolta, Toshiba.

Wealso carry used copiers at a very low price.

You cancontact me at the following number or email us:

RonaldRivera
    ronald.rivera@outlook.com
    InternationalDigitalSolutions
    (305)593-8700
    1507NW 82 Ave.
    MiamiFlorida33126
    WWW.idscopier.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Windows 8.1 Update breaks SMB protocol.

Why don't you drop dead Ronald with your spam all the time.

This is a site for techs helping techs. Many of us even spend their money to support the site. What about you?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Windows 8 is a lot easier to use once you get the hang of it. I'd advise buying a book or ebook and learning it, once you learn all the neat little tricks it makes things simpler.

I've only seen one business take the leap to Windows 8 with a Windows 2012 server and they got all their staff trained up on it. But there are still plety of businesses moving over to Windows 7 currently and Windows 7 will be available for purchase for sometime to come for business.

Of course you can always just install the old start menu for Windows 8, just do a Google search for a program to use.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doinbox View Post
    Hello everyone. Not sure if this has been posted but I couldn't find it. The latest update to Windows 8, (8.1) has a bug which stops the SMB protocol from working. There will be an update sometime in November. The link to Microsoft's article is here

Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 General Availability Update Rollup

Just thought I'd let you know.
    Thanks for the headsup!

Technician

so up to about the first of October till now I have been trying to get the office canon c3200 to scan to email again and keep getting the 753 send error resending

its a real estate office and we have a mixture of xp 7 and a couple with 8 could one of them doing the update caused the mfp not to be able to scan
    have it set up through and xp on a single computer

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROBIN JENTZEN View Post
    so up to about the first of October till now I have been trying to get the office canon c3200 to scan to email again and keep getting the 753 send error resending

its a real estate office and we have a mixture of xp 7 and a couple with 8 could one of them doing the update caused the mfp not to be able to scan
    have it set up through and xp on a single computer
    I highly doubt it.
    Scan to email is generally completely unrelated to the OS in use. A PC isn't even required to scan to email, just the correct email account settings, gateway, DNS settings, etc., on the MFP.

For better advice, you'd be better served posting your issue, with a more clear explanation, in the Canon forum

Technician

I seen this thread a week ago and dreaded the thought of this, we have a couple of clients running Windows 8 and since the free upgrade is only a click away I was awaiting a few phone calls. I thought I would download the 90 Enterprise trial of Win 8.1 so I could test myself and had no problem getting our Ricoh MPC5502 to scan to folder straight away. Haven't tested any others though.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts B0265's Avatar

If you install the latest updates from Microsoft it SMB scanning should work now.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Great tip, thanks for that.

But calling Microsoft out as becoming another Apple is a bit harsh isn't it?

Apple releases minor OS updates and charges you for them where as MS doesn't. MS has also always released minor version updates in the past, but you would have known the minor updates as "Service Packs" in the past. Now they are minor version releases.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

what part breaks? i have had no problems with SMB on windows 8 at all. however, sometimes i notice windows update breaks user accounts that authenticate to grant access to the scan folder registered on the system. this happens on 7 and 8. make a new "service account" ie name "scan" with a password like "1234" and try that. this way if the user changes his password you don't get another call for a long while..

works fine with Canon, Lexmark, Kyocera, I freaking HATE! HATE Konica Minolta anything, but it works fine.