Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Windows 8.1 Update breaks SMB protocol.

Hello everyone. Not sure if this has been posted but I couldn't find it. The latest update to Windows 8, (8.1) has a bug which stops the SMB protocol from working. There will be an update sometime in November. The link to Microsoft's article is here

Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 General Availability Update Rollup

Just thought I'd let you know.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Windows 8.1 Update breaks SMB protocol.

Oh for the days when tech companies were trying NOT to be like Apple and releasing a new OS variant every year. Microsoft was always good for a stable environment for at least four to five years between operating systems. XP really spoiled people by the length of time it was out in the wild before anything took its place (remember though that what became XP Service Pack 2 was originally going to be a new OS).

Thanks for the post though. Hopefully for those affected the update will be included in November's patch Tuesday.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Oh FFS Microsoft is now turning into Apple and stuffing up certain parts of the OS with every new update. Don't they test these things?

I'll add to the praise of Windows XP, it was a fantastic OS that is still widely used today.

Thanks for the heads up!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    And it is only a free update in the windows store away for windows 8 users. Hopefully it will take a little while before most people catch on that 8.1 was just released.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Appreciate the tip! Just did my first set up on Win 8 box yesterday. Could have wasted a bunch of time if they call me in the next few days with errors.

Bye the way. What is MS thinking? In my limited time with Win8, it is more than a few steps backwards - at least in a business environment. It's all about social networking and file sharing. But if you actually want to accomplish something, it's brutal to navigate!
    I think once these boxes start to flood the market a little more, businesses are going to be pissed!
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 10-25-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Appreciate the tip! Just did my first set up on Win 8 box yesterday. Could have wasted a bunch of time if they call me in the next few days with errors.

Bye the way. What is MS thinking? In my limited time with Win8, it is more than a few steps backwards - at least in a business environment. It's all about social networking and file sharing. But if you actually want to accomplish something, it's brutal to navigate!
    I think once these boxes start to flood the market a little more, businesses are going to be pissed!
    I know of at least one major oilfield and industrial service company with an office in my area who has made arraignments with Dell to get Win 7 with all their new hardware.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I advise all my customers strongly NOT to implement W8. There's no need for it. W7 is a very good OS and will still be around for years.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I can see Microsoft's logic in developing Windows 8, but it needs to be a smarter system: better hardware detection and more of a move towards what 8.1 seems to be offering: a true desktop experience. For the most part though, I'm sticking with Windows 7 for new hardware but we do have a few Windows 8 test boxes.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    I advise all my customers strongly NOT to implement W8. There's no need for it. W7 is a very good OS and will still be around for years.

Hans
    I agree with you. Microsoft will end all support for Windows 7 in the year 2020! So until then, enjoy.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post

Hans
    I agree with you. Microsoft will end all support for Windows 7 in the year 2020.
    While support for windows XP service pack 3 ends on April 18th 2014, a few months from now.
    Until then, Enjoy!