Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

Ricoh Scan to remote server over 3G

Hi Guys.

Having issues with a scan to folder issue where the folder is on a remote server in another city via a 3G connection.
    The customers I.T (based in same city as server) originally placed a call because they couldn't access the Web Interface to set up scanning. Printing is fine, and when I connect my laptop I can access the Web Interface with Firefox, but not with IE9.
    I went on site and configured the scanning manually, but when the scan is sent it creates the PDF but then doesn't upload the file.
    I'm sure it's an issue with the 3G connection, but they swear they've checked it all out and it's the machines fault.

Your ideas greatly appreciated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Scan to remote server over 3G

What the Heck?!....scan to server via 3G???....isn't that cellular wireless???....if you are scanning to folder over 3G, I wouldn't think it would work unless you had some kind of VPN connection!

The other option, would be to scan to e-mail which I would think would be easier and less troublesome!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The SMB protocol doesn't support transmission over non-contiguous networks. For it to work, the 3G connection would have to be within the same subnet as the server's local network. Even if that were the case, the latency of transmission over a 3G signal would be greater than the error rate allowed for. Even if the latency wasn't an issue, you'd have the question of whether the ports needed to transfer the files and authentication are open on the provider's network.

Follow qbert's advice and just set up scan to email: this is a rabbit hole you don't want to end up going down.

Unfortunately the customer is a construction company and have various sites around the country all setup the same. They'll be at this site until construction is finished and then move on to the next job, hence the 3G connection. It has to be folder rather than email as this is just the way they want it done. Like I say, they have various sites all connected via 3G, and it works fine elsewhere, so they're pointing the finger at the machine.
    I'm going in there this morning with a small scanner to prove either way. Hopefully I don't come out of there looking like an idiot.

Thanks for your input guys.

Possible Solution:

If you can't scan to e-mail, set up a local computer to the MFP that has a shared folder that you can scan to. Then get a piece of software (possibly free!) that will synchronize and back up to the remote location...that way if the first sync update fails, it will try until it gets the sync right!

http://download.cnet.com/SyncBackFre...-10413802.html

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Possible Solution:

If you can't scan to e-mail, set up a local computer to the MFP that has a shared folder that you can scan to. Then get a piece of software (possibly free!) that will synchronize and back up to the remote location...that way if the first sync update fails, it will try until it gets the sync right!

http://download.cnet.com/SyncBackFre...-10413802.html

For remote file updating, I would recommend Google Drive; which works on PC, Mac, Android and iPhone. Also it is free.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

The other site offices are most likely running VPN. This allows for a virtual connection to appear at the remote MFD. The MFD would then appear to everyone as being on a permenant network connection and/or login domain,therefore allowing SMB or direct printing to be used.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

I've just been back on site with another device. Same issue, they can't login to the Web Interface and scanning fails. So it's back to them, they're going to have somebody swap over the router tomorrow, see if that changes anything.

Thanks for all your replies.

IF you truly are using a VPN type connection, you will want a connection that is PERSISTENT vs one that is on demand...the MFP has to see the folder location immediately so it can login and do its file deposit.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Scan to remote server over 3G

So it appears as if it's a VPN over a 3G internet connection. Can you ping the servers name and IP and if so are there any drops outs?

You said it creates the PDF file on the server, but no image is in it?
    Can you access the scans folder on the server from the local PC's?

It seems to me like it's a data transmission issue due to the 3G connection, using something like wire shark would be good to see what's going on in the transmission, but the companies I.T. would have to do that.