Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan to e-mail via Windows Live Hotmail

Question Scan to e-mail via Windows Live Hotmail

Hi,

Has anybody successfully scanned to e-mail via Windows Live Hotmail? I've never needed to set it up surprisingly, though I've setup Gmail dozens of times. I don't have a need at the moment to setup scan to e-mail via Windows Live Hotmail, but I'd like to know if it's possible and works well. Unfortunately I can't test this on my test machine in my office as the corporate firewall blocks the connection.

I've found a web page that goes through the settings: http://email.about.com/od/accessingh...P_Settings.htm

The guide mentions to use port 587 though like most guides it fails to mention that you'll need to enable 'STARTTLS' instead of 'SSL/TLS' as STARTTLS uses port 587 and 'SSL/TLS' uses port 465. I suppose if your MFP doesn't have a 'STARTTLS' option you could always just try 'SSL/TLS' and see what happens.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ApeosMan; 01-02-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Scan to e-mail via Windows Live Hotmail

Failed to install hotmail SMTP server, since it requires
    • Encrypted Connection: SSL
      Ricoh machine says it needs installing Device Certificate if SSL (SSL/TLS is unavailable without device certificate installation.)
      Therefore create certificate1
      : Creates a self-signed certificate. have you any idea to solve the error
      but say:

Error
      An unexpected error has occurred.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    Failed to install hotmail SMTP server, since it requires
    • Encrypted Connection: SSL
      Ricoh machine says it needs installing Device Certificate if SSL (SSL/TLS is unavailable without device certificate installation.)
      Therefore create certificate1
      : Creates a self-signed certificate. have you any idea to solve the error
      but say:

Error
      An unexpected error has occurred.
    Ah I'm a bit confused by that error message. When an SSL/TLS session is being established the mail server should send the certificate for the secured connection, you shouldn't need to upload it to the MFP manually.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Probably you don't catch the point. I mean the failure message from installing Device Certificate. I tested many times by using different web browsers, IE,Firefox,Chorme, they came the same error message, However I created the Device Certificate easily for a little bit newer model like MP3500 or MP4000, 5000. But it really doesn't work for the Model MP2500. I'm wondering aloud the model has the function from webMinitor to create self-signed device cerificate, why it doesn't work, Is it a kind of bug? or I omit something ??! Furthermore I also can import the third party certificate(like Equalfax Authority) to Site certificate I get a little puzzle from Ricoh MP2500.

In general, Ricoh Network Configuration description is much ambiguous, unclear, or non professional narration, like Wireless and IPfax setting. Without Cisco CCNA background, no one can figure out setting properly. Fortunately I have had the background knowledge- Networking Infrastructure.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

In order to setup SMTP over SSL on Ricoh MFP's requires the MFP to be a model that has a GW+ Controller. The MP 2500 does not. The MP 2501 does. The attached includes a list of supported models.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    In order to setup SMTP over SSL on Ricoh MFP's requires the MFP to be a model that has a GW+ Controller. The MP 2500 does not. The MP 2501 does. The attached includes a list of supported models.

Thanks indeed. But I am still focusing on theDEVICE Cerificate , not SSL a GW+ controller itself. The attached one says the model is much more new model(last digital starting 1, 2, or 3) , of course they offer more detailed descriptions, like SSL version.As said previous the less new model like MP3500, 4000, 5000 etc(last digital with 0) can be easily created device certificate. And also the attachment said that imported SITE Certificate, my old model can do either. Question is MP 2500 only recognize the Device certificate.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thanks indeed. But I am still focusing on theDEVICE Cerificate , not SSL a GW+ controller itself. The attached one says the model is much more new model(last digital starting 1, 2, or 3) , of course they offer more detailed descriptions, like SSL version.As said previous the less new model like MP3500, 4000, 5000 etc(last digital with 0) can be easily created device certificate. And also the attachment said that imported SITE Certificate, my old model can do either. Question is MP 2500 only recognize the Device certificate.
    SITE Certificate is used for SMTP over SSL which the MP 2500 cannot do because it has a GW Controller and not a GW+ Controller. Device certificate is used mostly for authentication with other services usually from local servers and is obtained from a local domain certificate server. There are also self created certificate functions available with some model, but I have not used one before. Self created certificates must then be registered with any server requiring a certificate.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

SITE Certificate is used for SMTP over SSL which the MP 2500 cannot do because it has a GW Controller and not a GW+ Controller. Device certificate is used mostly for authentication with other services usually from local servers and is obtained from a local domain certificate server. There are also self created certificate functions available with some model, but I have not used one before. Self created certificates must then be registered with any server requiring a certificate.
    More clear than before, meanwhile, allow me to ask what is different between GW Controller and GW+ controller, further humble ask for what stands for GW , Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts

More clear than before, meanwhile, allow me to ask what is different between GW Controller and GW+ controller, further humble ask for what stands for GW , Thanks
    I do not know what GW stands for. Possibly the company who manufactures the boards for Ricoh. It is a term used by Ricoh for some of their boards. GW controller is the main controller board. GWFCU is the FAX control unit. The GW+ is an updated version of the controller. It has a newer processor chip and support chip set. As such, it supports additional and updated options and features.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I do not know what GW stands for. Possibly the company who manufactures the boards for Ricoh. It is a term used by Ricoh for some of their boards. GW controller is the main controller board. GWFCU is the FAX control unit. The GW+ is an updated version of the controller. It has a newer processor chip and support chip set. As such, it supports additional and updated options and features.
    Thank you for your sincere answers, As a matter of fact, Ricoh use too much abbreviations, even for not common use. We have to spend a lot of time to memorize the Abbreviations or SP/SC number, we have to write down notes for future reference.