Thread: Dropbox

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Dropbox

During a recent install a customer asked if they could scan from their new mfp (Sharp mx-5141n) to their dropbox account. A coworker of the customer chimed in and shot down the idea before I could answer. To be honest, I have no experience with dropbox and only recently opened an account to learn more.

With the time I have spent playing with dropbox I still have not found a way to scan directly from the mfp to the dropbox account. It looks like I can scan to a pc which is linked to a dropbox account. In the event that workstation is not online or being a laptop is out of the office that idea may not work.

Any ideas?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Dropbox

There's no direct way unless there's a built-in application for the MFP that grants it access. The closest thing to a cloud solution I've found is scan to email using an Evernote email address. Every user is granted an email address that will allow them to email files to their account.

If there was a way of scanning directly, I'd be hesitant to set it up without knowing what the customer's policy on a third party storage service is. A lot of companies are just beginning to realise how much of their information is sitting on a server somewhere outside of their control, or their security. After all, the last thing you want to do is set that up and then find out that someone has been using it to store internal company files or some kind of sensitive information that shouldn't be outside of the company's network.

Cannot be done, uploads are limited to their application and website. By scanning to a folder and having that sync in the application is the only way. It would be nice if Dropbox supported FTP, but they don't.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Same is true with Google Drive..for now, you must scan to a workstation folder that is synched with Google Drive. Emujo
    Last edited by emujo; 04-22-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

For KM techs, there is a "marketplace" connector that allows direct scanning to drop box. I would assume that Google Drive can't be too far behind. Marketplace is an app installed on the KM device that connects to the KM app store. You can download various items for tailoring the Bizhub to the customers needs. For instance, you can install a cooperate announcement app, get weather updates right to the control panel, have the control panel display the company logo, download blank sheet music, scan to sharepoint, and many other items. The market place app is not free, and neither are most of the apps. Emujo

After a quick look, there is a google app, that once you log into the copier with your gmail account, lets you print your email, and scan back to your email folders, and for real nut jobs, you can get "twitter" feeds right to the control panel.
    Last edited by emujo; 04-22-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    Twitter feeds from the op panel? Sounds like wasted R & D money to me. Hell, even using Gmail from the machine sounds more like a consumer grade decision than one that a business would want on their machine.

--sent from my BlackBerry using the Android app

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Dropbox

Some MFP manufacturers offer 'Connector's' into online storage solutions like DropBox. I think I've seen Ricoh advertise one somewhere, though it could just be on offer to a certain region instead of Ricoh globally. A number of manufacturers off Google Driver connectors. These sorts of connectors are not free and come at a cost.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Dropbox

Quote Originally Posted by emujo View Post
    For KM techs, there is a "marketplace" connector that allows direct scanning to drop box. I would assume that Google Drive can't be too far behind. Marketplace is an app installed on the KM device that connects to the KM app store. You can download various items for tailoring the Bizhub to the customers needs. For instance, you can install a cooperate announcement app, get weather updates right to the control panel, have the control panel display the company logo, download blank sheet music, scan to sharepoint, and many other items. The market place app is not free, and neither are most of the apps. Emujo

After a quick look, there is a google app, that once you log into the copier with your gmail account, lets you print your email, and scan back to your email folders, and for real nut jobs, you can get "twitter" feeds right to the control panel.
    KM's marketplace is such a great idea, surprised other manufacturers haven't offered a similar offering.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Twitter feeds from the op panel? Sounds like wasted R & D money to me. Hell, even using Gmail from the machine sounds more like a consumer grade decision than one that a business would want on their machine.

--sent from my BlackBerry using the Android app
    I believe it. How many people use twitter to post that they are eating breakfast or going to Starbucks or in the toilet?!?!!? Now we get to see... "Jill... scanning some documents" LOL
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Technician

Hi teklife 256,

You can scan directly to many cloud solutions, including Dropbox, with Udocx. Our solution is cloud based so there's no need to install any software on the MFP or on a server. We connect your MFp directly to specific folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365 and more.
    You can find more information on our Sharp page: Sharp devices | Udocx, but we work with other brands of MFPs as well.

Cheers,
    Iris