Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MFP, mail merge function.

Customer wants to get two new bizhub-445e. I would like to know if printing of mail merging letters (standard text but every letter having an individual address inserted) has to be done as before with older models by using the mail merge function of Microsoft Word or do the newer models have an option to merge the data at the MFP.

Reason for asking is that with the older machines it takes a considerable time to complete the merging process at the workstation before the printing starts. I have heard that newer systems can do this much faster by keeping the standard text as a PDF at the build in hard drive en merely only the individual addresses coming from the workstation are added.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MFP, mail merge function.

The only way I have ever done print merge is through the merge function of the ord processing software.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Customer wants to get two new bizhub-445e. I would like to know if printing of mail merging letters (standard text but every letter having an individual address inserted) has to be done as before with older models by using the mail merge function of Microsoft Word or do the newer models have an option to merge the data at the MFP.

Reason for asking is that with the older machines it takes a considerable time to complete the merging process at the workstation before the printing starts. I have heard that newer systems can do this much faster by keeping the standard text as a PDF at the build in hard drive en merely only the individual addresses coming from the workstation are added.

Hans
    the c454e maybe the US version which takes the fiery print controller. This can do variable data print(fancy name for mail merge), but I would think your customer would have to do a lot of mail merge jobs to offset the cost of the fiery and the freeform software from fiery. There are also quite a few 3rd party variable data printing software programs available.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I don't know too much about the info I'm about to give you as yet, but I've been meaning to study it. Apparently a PCL macro can help in this situation, the below link may be of some initial use to you to find out more info:

Forms Electric, Create and Use PCL Forms Overlay Macros

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You can always use the Overlay feature on the Stamp/Composition tab of the driver. First you print the master with no data to the MFP and create the Host Image. Then, you send over the data only and choose to use the overlay you created.
    Capture.JPG

I haven't done this in awhile but you can figure it out with a little messing around.

Technician

I guess merging at the MFP could be a solution for simple merges, but the nice thing about merges is that you can make your standard letters a lot more personalized. Instead of just addresses we'd also change details in the letters themselves. Like the type of contract, or the cost per month. This is something you'd need to do on the workstation either way as you'll also want to see examples before printing.

When you're sure your customer will stick with just adding addresses you can go for a solution on the MFP. But make extra sure it doesn't take too much time. You don't want to create queues.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

I haven't heard of this function being built into devices as yet, but I am pretty sure I know why the print jobs are taking ages to start printing.

Mail Merges don't create a print job per merged item, they create one print job as a continuous stream of pages. This is also why alot of people of issues with Mail Merges when trying to also use finishing functions.

The attached Macro divides the Mail Merge up so that each individual merge is treated as its own print job, meaning that print jobs will start hitting your machine quicker with the ability to use finishing functions.

Hopefully this helps you situation.

Mail Merge.pdf
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks guys and thanks Owl for that very helpful PDF.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Printshop Mail is a VDP software very powerful that can optimize this. Is also works with fiery free form.