Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Scan to folder file size limit?

working on a Ricoh mp4002, the scanner is having issues when scanning to folder, they use Windows 7 on the computers and Windows Server 2008.

The problem I've ran into is the customers scan a LOT of documents 1-300 pgs worth, the last few times they have tried to scan it would just lock up and continue to say processing. the girl having the problem said all she could do was cut the power and reboot the copier and try again or shorten the file she was scanning.

my question is, does this machine have a file size limit when it comes to scanning?

Update: just talked to the IT person there and they said now that what ever they scan comes in corrupted, problem with hard drive I'm thinking, any other ideas?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Scan to folder file size limit?

There is a limit to the amount of storage and memory dedicated to the scanner function. It sounds like there maybe something corrupted in the memory of the device, but as a first step check the resolution settings. There's really no reason to scan anything higher than 300 dpi.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's limited only by the capacity of the receiving server storage space. I've seen successful scans of 1000 or more pages, done in job build mode of 100 page sets. It just takes a long time to send. I would suspect a memory allocation or memory failure problem. Perhaps you've got a poor network connection, and it's momentarily losing connection. Things that you can do to reduce the file size are to change the following defaults:
    1) reduce resolution to 200 DPI for text or 300 DPI for small text (legal documents)
    2) scan black & white, Text original, not color, not Photo original.

I had one customer with unusual requirements:
    They wanted to print a document with a light watermark , then scan back that printed doc, and still see the watermark. The required scan settings were 600 DPI print, 600DPI scan, Color, Photo original. Every page was over 1M, but they were fine with that. A year later I got a call: "can't scan". The server wouldn't accept any more documents. I can't imagine why ...

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Bad RAM in the copier can give you fits.

A few years ago I had an MP4001 that kept erring out, but with eCopy Embedded.

Same idea, though. All scans that go through the machine must pass through system memory.

As goofy as RAM can be, I would at the very least reseat it, and try replacing if the reseating doesn't help.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

There is a limit on the amount it can scan on the machine side. Usually set to 2Mb as default. I usually switch it off. I think it's found in scan feature on page 1, just look for the one that is set to 2048.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FMC View Post
    There is a limit on the amount it can scan on the machine side. Usually set to 2Mb as default. I usually switch it off. I think it's found in scan feature on page 1, just look for the one that is set to 2048.
    This setting is for scan to email. 2MB is based on the fact that web mail such as Yahoo used to limit email size to 2.5MB total. I had an RV dealership who was having trouble sending their weekly ad sheet to the local newspaper. They were using Yahoo mail and the ad sheet was 3.2MB.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts DallasTech's Avatar

Another thing to confirm is that there is no SMB session timeout set in the registry. I have seen this happen with like 18 pages before. Added a new registry key under LanManWorkstation, created a new key named SessTimeout (iirc) with a DWORD value of 600 (in seconds, would = 10 minutes). There was previously no session timeout set, but after making that adjustment, it would scan 50-60 pages. It's something to take a look at.