Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CROSSOVER CABLE

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar

Re: CROSSOVER CABLE

If you do what Ruben said, your on your way to success, then the only thing youŽll need to do is, in the windows startup menu\search tab; type: cmd this will open a DOS command window (black screen with white letters) in that window type, ping_192.168.1.200_ -t and hint enter this will see if your getting replay from your (copiers network card) it will say:
    reply from 192.168.1.200 bytes 32 time=1ms TTL=57

Remember the IP address will be the number you gave to your copier.
    Good luck.
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

HI Im going to customer Monday.I really don't take all the help for granted.THANK YOU.While I have been servicing copiers for almost 40 years,Im VERY LIMITED with computers.Northernlife can you explain to me in laymens terms what I need to do?I very good mechanically but lost with computer. Thank you .ANDY

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

He's just saying that the crossover cable works just like having an 5-port switch. Nothing new, just more terminology.

This is how I learned. I got thrown under the bus ... then learned a few tricks, then a few more, ... like that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    You most likely don't need the crossover cable. Modern computers will auto sense the cable and it will do the crossing over for you in the circuitry. It will do this automatically will no extra effort. Just configure the network adaptor to the same subnet as explained already.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

One place that you must have a crossover: The Ethernet connection between any Fiery and any brand copier it connects to, at least AFAIK.

Perhaps they newest ones will flip it for you, but I somewhat doubt it.

While the cable is included with the Fiery, they've been known to get lost, pinched, bitten, etc...

There are also some pieces of gear that are almost always found in the customer's network closet or room that require them, but 99% of that is stuff we almost never touch...unless you are providing IT services (which some of us do.).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

CROSSOVER CABLE

HI No I just service their printer.Im trying to determine if it is network problem or printer issue.I will try Ethernet port with cable tomorrow to see if I get get print thru my laptop.Im hoping I don't need a crossovrer because Im a little lost with it even though therte has been much help. THANKS ANDY

CROSSOVER CABLE

Re: Brother MFC 8660DN /New details/ Hi So I went to machine with cross cable this A.M. ,and connected it.It did not try to set up new device.Apparently 8660 are set to auto IP address setting.When I plugged in Ethernet crosscable I was able to get IP address on network configuration printout page(*if unplugged printout IP address is all zeros)I tried to set IP by following advice ,although I don't know if I set up correctly.the 2 leds were on showing I had connection.As I tried to print the status lite on machine startred flashing and an error page printed out that said "unsupported protocol)and printer stayed in error state until I turned off and on.I plugged crosscable into a machine after this at another customer who had a Brother MFC 8480(Same machine virtually)with a few different bells and whistles,and a slightly later version.My laptop configured everything (machine had same type of configuration,auto IP ,all zeros when Ethernet not connected.When Ethernet had ip address on configuration printout.I was able to print witrhou any issues. Im starting to wonder if the MFC 8660 has a bad main pwb, Any futher input will be gladly accepted THANKS ANDY