Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CROSSOVER CABLE

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

CROSSOVER CABLE

HI, I need to test a network printer I`m having problems with.I want to connect my laptop to printer with crossover as a way to troubleshoot ,to see if problem is printer or network.I have never used one before.I tried to do some research but am a little confused.I know one end goes inti my laptop,where do I connect the other side and will my laptop prompt me as to how to set up or do I need further instructions. Thanks Andy

Re: CROSSOVER CABLE

With a crossover cable one end goes into the ethernet of the device and the other into the ethernet of the PC.

Leave the cable unplugged first. If the device has a static IP address, 192.168.1.200 with subnet 255.255.255.0 for example, then your PC should be set to a static IP on the same range and subnet, 192.168.1.201 with subnet 255.255.255.0 for example. It doesn't matter what the PC IP address is, as long as it is different, the subnet needs to be the same.

Assuming you are using Windows, you will need to assign the IP in Control Panel > Network & Sharing > Change adapter settings > Right click local ethernet > Properties > Double click Internet Protocol Version 4 > Tick Use the following IP address > Enter an IP that is different to the device but on the same range, and the same subnet. Leave the Default gateway and Preferred DNS settings empty.

If the device is on DHCP, this will need to be turned off and a temporary static IP entered instead.

When all entered then plug in the cable, any problems with the connection you may have an incorrect or damaged cable or incorrect IP settings on either device or PC.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Most newer PCs will auto-sense that the network port is connected directly to another node (in this case the MFP or printer), and automatically adjust for it.

I know that the notebooks I've had over the past 7 or 8 years did.

(Shame on me for forgetting the proper term for that...)

Ruben is spot on with his explanation!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

CROSSOVER CABLE

Hi THANKS guys for the help and fast reply.Customer is away till Monday,I will go there on tues.This will give me time to order crossover cable. Thanks again ANDY

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by cucuklotz View Post
    Hi THANKS guys for the help and fast reply.Customer is away till Monday,I will go there on tues.This will give me time to order crossover cable. Thanks again ANDY
    You can get a crossover cable at most electronics stores (Radio Shack, Frys, etc) without ordering it. This way you can test it before going to customers.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    You can get a crossover cable at most electronics stores (Radio Shack, Frys, etc) without ordering it. This way you can test it before going to customers.
    Right on, but myself, I just make my own..............................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Right on, but myself, I just make my own..............................
    That's what I would do when I was in my prime, but now it would take too long and it's quicker to go to the store to buy one.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    That's what I would do when I was in my prime, but now it would take too long and it's quicker to go to the store to buy one.
    ZOOTECH your just gettin' the party started brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    CROSSOVER CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by cucuklotz View Post
    Most (if not all) laptops that run Win 7 and beyond don't require a crossover cable. Any old network cable will suffice. That's all I've ever used with my laptop or my crappy old netbook.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 07-24-2014 at 05:32 AM.

laptops may have auto mdix support but the copiers generally do not. All it is is the tx and rx pairs are flipped from one end of the cable to the other to eliminate a "repeater" aka switch/hub. Do the same connectivity as if there was an unmanaged switch between your pc and the copier.