Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    FYI Scanning from Bizhub C220 to Win7x64 Ultimate and Mac OS.X 10.9 Using FTP and SMB

Lightbulb FYI Scanning from Bizhub C220 to Win7x64 Ultimate and Mac OS.X 10.9 Using FTP and SMB

Just an FYI.

Have a client using both platforms of OS on the same network and noticed this phenomenon.

Win7 represents a "Server" and has Folders Shared for use by the Mac OSX. I have came across a problem where I could not scan to a shared folder called Scans on the Mac OSX using FTP protocol like as I am used to on any other mac.
    Copier send the file with no ERROR what so ever and the file could not be found anywhere on the MAC. On odd occasion it appeared after few hours but I could not see what triggered it as I can't be on site 24/7!

Now the funny part:

Win7 has been setup as well with a shared folder (full permissions for Everyone) called exactly the same way as on Mac OSX a.e. Scans.
    Any scanned document sent from the copier appeared instantly. Tried sending to both destinations and file appeared on Win destination only using SMB. Mac stayed blank no matter what I do.

The solution I've found was changing the Shared Folder name to Scan for the Mac OSX and obviously amending the address book on the machine accordingly.

To my knowledge these were two separate computers with completely different Host Names and User names and password and using two different file protocol to transfer the file.

How the heck is it, that the Mac couldn't see the files?

A: Sharing conflict?
    B: Routing conflict?
    C: Missing something ?

Can some one with greater network knowledge enlighten me please. I'd like to understand. What is going on even though I've solved the issue. Just curious.

Many Thanks.
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    FYI Scanning from Bizhub C220 to Win7x64 Ultimate and Mac OS.X 10.9 Using FTP and SMB

Re: FYI Scanning from Bizhub C220 to Win7x64 Ultimate and Mac OS.X 10.9 Using FTP and

I am not really Mac savvy, but I will try to help here.

There shouldn't be a sharing conflict as each computer name / IP address is different so when you access a UNC path, the first this that gets looked at is the computer name. IE:

\\laptop\scans
    \\desktop\scans

or

\\192.168.0.1\scans
    \\192.168.0.2\scans

The only time this would prove to be a problem is when the computer names or IP addresses of both machines are the same. This would then cause a general network error on the PC / Mac though.

As for routing, are you using IP address or DNS Host Name? The reason I ask is because switches have the ability of knowing the IP address / IP addresses of connected nodes. When traffic is sent through the switch, the packets of data will have the destination IP address with in them which the switch reads on the way through and directs traffic to the correct port.

Where this might cause an issue from time to time is if you have a lazy DNS server. When using host names, the first thing that needs to be done is to ask the DNS server to resolve the host name being used into an IP address which the sending node then uses to start sending traffic with. If the DNS server hasn't updated a computer name to the new IP address (in the case of using DHCP), then the packets may be sent to the wrong IP address.

Now to the actual problem at hand. Is the "Scan" folder on the Mac the home directory for FTP? If so, then you will need to make sure that you enter in your FTP scan destination on your machine as:

ftp://macname/

If the root of the system drive is the home folder and the scan folder is in the root, your ftp destination would be:

ftp://macname/scan

Translated to Konica Minolta terms:

Host Address: MacName or IP Address
    File Path: "/" or "scan" (without the quotation marks) if the scan folder is within the home directory

I think that covers it, but I may have missed something as it is too early in the morning here for my brain to function correctly.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Have you tried a ftp client software on the PC to see if you can write files to the Mac ftp folder. I have done this at times to make sure the ftp was setup correctly on macs specially since apple disabled/hid the ftp on newer OSX

Thanks Wseyller, I am using the sudo command to enable ftp in terminal. So far worked on any OSX 10.7 up..

Just going on site now to see why the PC Stopped receiving files. Getting Fwd tx error. So it looks to me admin credentials arerequired or domain name is missing
    Firmwares HERE

OK. Win and Mac and machine set on fixed IP's. Reboot all working like a charm!

FTP AND SMB!

When scanning preset is set to Jpeg it won't change document suffix to next +1 nr. a.e. Scan 1, scan 2, scan 3 etc. What it does instead it overwrites the one saved in folder with the same doc. name over and over which results in missing files. Tadaa
    Firmwares HERE

Thumbs up Re: FYI Scanning from Bizhub C220 to Win7x64 Ultimate and Mac OS.X 10.9 Using FTP and

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    I am not really Mac savvy, but I will try to help here.

There shouldn't be a sharing conflict as each computer name / IP address is different so when you access a UNC path, the first this that gets looked at is the computer name. IE:

\\laptop\scans
    \\desktop\scans

or

\\192.168.0.1\scans
    \\192.168.0.2\scans

The only time this would prove to be a problem is when the computer names or IP addresses of both machines are the same. This would then cause a general network error on the PC / Mac though.

As for routing, are you using IP address or DNS Host Name? The reason I ask is because switches have the ability of knowing the IP address / IP addresses of connected nodes. When traffic is sent through the switch, the packets of data will have the destination IP address with in them which the switch reads on the way through and directs traffic to the correct port.

Where this might cause an issue from time to time is if you have a lazy DNS server. When using host names, the first thing that needs to be done is to ask the DNS server to resolve the host name being used into an IP address which the sending node then uses to start sending traffic with. If the DNS server hasn't updated a computer name to the new IP address (in the case of using DHCP), then the packets may be sent to the wrong IP address.

Now to the actual problem at hand. Is the "Scan" folder on the Mac the home directory for FTP? If so, then you will need to make sure that you enter in your FTP scan destination on your machine as:

ftp://macname/

If the root of the system drive is the home folder and the scan folder is in the root, your ftp destination would be:

ftp://macname/scan

Translated to Konica Minolta terms:

Host Address: MacName or IP Address
    File Path: "/" or "scan" (without the quotation marks) if the scan folder is within the home directory

I think that covers it, but I may have missed something as it is too early in the morning here for my brain to function correctly.

Thanks \Owl/

The riddle was as you suggested.

All machines were on static IP's

When I was logged in remotely I did not check if the Win machine is on static IP or not. I just run cmd and ipconfig /all and looked what host name they have setup SMB scan and all worked well. Few hours down the line it came back with forward TX error.

Mac could see shared(mapped) network folder Scans created on PC but PC wasn't allowed to see Mac's folders.

What could have happened was temporary IP conflict with the PC. Still don't know how
    Printing was OK just the damn scanning was not.

Scaning over the FTP to Mac issue was the scanner presets where Jpeg file was overwritten constantly as I said above.

These little perks are driving me up the wall sometimes especially when you are super busy and is hard to calm your rushed brain and think outside of the box. Time consuming

Again thanks for Explanation OWL!!

Just want to add that there were times it took really long time to transfer the files, I can imagine that a simple reboot next time will just do the trick.
    Firmwares HERE