Jdaniel

Apple Mac user Code Popups. HELP

Starting to go bald from scratching my head.

Hi I'm a Copier Technician Melbourne Australia.
    I have a client with a mixed OS environment.
    XP, Win7/8 and the Dreaded Apple Mac.
    The client bills out all of their printing to their clients, To do this we have enabled user code pop ups that they can quickly and easily charge for printing.
    Now for my problem. Mac popup driver options.
    Windows is not a problem. But I've now searched hi and low to find the same workflow for their ever-increasing number of mac users.
    The client doesn't want to go down the Papercut/Equitrac path, but is becoming increasing impatient with me not finding a solution to their Mac popups.
    Has anyone ever found a workaround or even some free third party software that can overcome this?Ricoh Copier Technician Melbourne.
    I have a client with a mixed OS environment.
    XP, Win7/8 and the Dreaded Apple Mac.
    The client bills out all of their printing to their clients, To do this we have enabled user code pop ups that they can quickly and easily charge for printing.
    Now for my problem. Mac popup driver options.
    Windows is not a problem. But I've now searched hi and low to find the same workflow for their ever-increasing number of mac users.
    The client doesn't want to go down the Papercut/Equitrac path, but is becoming increasing impatient with me not finding a solution to their Mac popups.
    Has anyone ever found a workaround or even some free third party software that can overcome this?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Apple Mac user Code Popups. HELP

I am probably the least qualified person to comment on this in all of the known universe.
    Still, for what it is worth, based on an unrelated problem back in the day I discovered that current Apple operating systems can be somewhat similar to Linux.
    Hopefully somebody way smarter than me will give you the actual solution to that problem.
    This might be something to look into if time permits and you feel like it, though.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Sorry, but i think you are out of luck here, at least in getting a Ricoh based solution.

You can usually get user codes to show in the Mac driver (although you did not say which version of the OS they have), but you will need to manually bring it up each time.

Your only hope for a popup would be a third party solution, and I can't say I have ever seen any other than the ones you mentioned.

Was this something that just came up, or something a salesman promised?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Jdaniel

Thanks guys for the reply.
    OS X10.9 but it doesn't seem to make any difference. None that i've ever seen have had this option. You always have to go into the driver and change. No pop up.

KenB
    You know how it is. Salesman tells client it's a rocket. Then expects you to make it fly.

Will keep looking and trying things. Tried to do something through Apple's automator, and via Apple script. All so far without any luck.

If I find a decent work around, I'll post it.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I am probably the least qualified person to comment on this in all of the known universe.
    Still, for what it is worth, based on an unrelated problem back in the day I discovered that current Apple operating systems can be somewhat similar to Linux.
    Hopefully somebody way smarter than me will give you the actual solution to that problem.
    This might be something to look into if time permits and you feel like it, though.
    Apple's OS X is actually based off Unix, which Linux really is just an open version of. Since I know a little more Linux than I do OS X, I mainly try a lot of my Linux skills to get me through and most of the time they work!

The other issue is that the pop-up for user codes is a PC only process. CUPS doesn't offer the same flexibility in terms add-ons, but it is stable for the most part so there is that advantage.

The other irony is that Ricoh uses NetBSD as the core OS of their devices, so in essence both Macs and your MFP are running the same core OS!
    Last edited by rthonpm; 08-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jdaniel View Post
    Thanks guys for the reply.
    OS X10.9 but it doesn't seem to make any difference. None that i've ever seen have had this option. You always have to go into the driver and change. No pop up.

KenB
    You know how it is. Salesman tells client it's a rocket. Then expects you to make it fly.

Will keep looking and trying things. Tried to do something through Apple's automator, and via Apple script. All so far without any luck.

If I find a decent work around, I'll post it.
    Then let the salesman go back and tell the customer it won't work.

Not your problem.

BTW, you're lucky to get much of anything to print from 10.9. Every time Apple upgrades the OS they do the best they can to stop printing. Can you tell it's a bit of a sore subject?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Then let the salesman go back and tell the customer it won't work.

Not your problem.

BTW, you're lucky to get much of anything to print from 10.9. Every time Apple upgrades the OS they do the best they can to stop printing. Can you tell it's a bit of a sore subject?
    I agree hole heartedly! Damn Mac!

I am having similar issues with all Mac client law office using client codes and maverick (10.9.2). Machine is Canon though. Here is our solution for pop ups.although I don't know if Ricoh driver has this option.

System preferences>printers>select printer>option and supplies button
    Then driver pops up
    Last button is UTILITY , open printer utility then another pop-up(sorry for some reason I can upload jpg of screen)

Should see printer info button and remote UI button. Press printer info and verify user codes enabled click ok
    Then original utility window desplays dept Id (user code)management tab fill in user code and pin,must be valid, then check the "Confirm dept id when printing" box(THIS IS THE POPUP) SAVE settings button and close.

When customer clicks print the pop up will show the entered code but user just changes to match client code they are printing for.

Now, you tell me how to get multiple,correctly collated, stapled sets, instead of one giant stapled set! I hate MAC
    Some people may say I have a short temper, but I prefer to call it
    "A swift and assertive reaction to bullshit"

Papercut MF and NG are both free for systems with 5 or fewer users, if they are worried about cost.

Otherwise, they can always send job information, like user codes, from the print options with every job. It won't be the same as a popup, being an extra click or two on the mouse, but at least it will work. Eventually they will get used to it.