Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Universal PCL6: Quickly deploy user codes for many people?

As you wish to continue using User Codes you have a couple of options available.

1. Use Print Driver Packager-NX (PDP-NX) to customise a supported print driver using a print configuration file. This can be set to create a pop-up window each time a user prints enabling them to enter a user code. This field can set so that it is either blank or pre-set with a default value.

2 Once again using PDP-NX it is possible to create an installer package associated to a user configuration file (.csv). When the package is run settings are applied to the created print object. I.E

machine,account,pcipaddress,$USERCODE$,$USERID$,$U SERNAME$,$ADDRESS$,$UNCPATH$,$URL$,$PNAME$,$COMMEN TS$
    ,ACME.CORP\Choro1dal,,134679,,,,,,
    ,ACME.CORP\Service.Manager,,666,,,,,,

Using the above csv entries would result in the User Code 134679 applied automatically as default if the installer was run using the ACME.CORP Choro1dal account whilst the User Code 666 would be set if the Service.Manager logged in and ran the installer.

Dale Mahalko

Heh, what? the Ricoh NX driver tool costs money? Not free?

Since our copier services are contracted I'm checking to see if the company will get me the NX utility for free.

Also we don't HAVE to use user codes. That is just what was done previously at another location I had to set up. If there's another way to do this without the NV driver customization tool, I'm fine with that.

So far in my testing, it seems that setting up a printer share on a Windows Server 2008 R2 file server with the Universal driver without NX, and then customizing the printer share's properties.... this can NOT transmit its properties to client machines, when distributed to the clients via group policy.

I had hoped this might work, to create multiple printer device installs for a single target device on the Windows server, then setting a department ID for each device install, and then sharing the server's printers. Alas the desktop machines seem to always install with the default driver settings.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Universal PCL6: Quickly deploy user codes for many people?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mahalko View Post
    Heh, what? the Ricoh NX driver tool costs money? Not free?

Since our copier services are contracted I'm checking to see if the company will get me the NX utility for free.

Also we don't HAVE to use user codes. That is just what was done previously at another location I had to set up. If there's another way to do this without the NV driver customization tool, I'm fine with that.

So far in my testing, it seems that setting up a printer share on a Windows Server 2008 R2 file server with the Universal driver without NX, and then customizing the printer share's properties.... this can NOT transmit its properties to client machines, when distributed to the clients via group policy.

I had hoped this might work, to create multiple printer device installs for a single target device on the Windows server, then setting a department ID for each device install, and then sharing the server's printers. Alas the desktop machines seem to always install with the default driver settings.
    PDP-NX is free. You can download it from the Ricoh driver download page. Just scroll down past the list of Operating Systems. It is 197MB. The old Ricoh Print Driver Editor is only 23.3MB and can be downloaded from Softpedia.

Dale Mahalko

Well, that is weird, searching for it. This first page I found says "Where to Buy" / "Request a quote":

Home > Software > Workflow > Printer Driver Packager NX
    Printer Driver Packager NX

Yet here's a multimedia animation saying it's free:

And here it is for download:

.... I'll try that download. heh.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If you don't wish to use User Code or Basic Authentication you can always RTFM and set up LDAP or Windows Authentication, either of these methods would not require driver customisation or the expense of additional software.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Well, that is weird, searching for it. This first page I found says "Where to Buy" / "Request a quote":

Ricoh-usa.com - Click on Downloads - type the model number and click search - select drivers.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ricoh-usa.com - Click on Downloads - type the model number and click search - select drivers. You need to learn how to download drivers etc.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts redneckstylin's Avatar

I just did this setup at 2 realestate offices 60 users each I used print driver editor and enabled user code dialog box now it pops up a usercod box when you hit print aswell the pros to it is nobody can hop on a computer and print off their nemesis user code that's stored in driver office politics I tell ya

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redneckstylin View Post
    the pros to it is nobody can hop on a computer and print off their nemesis user code that's stored in driver office politics I tell ya
    I hope you locked down access to the address book.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts redneckstylin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I hope you locked down access to the address book.

that's on our user code setup checklist always lock the address book