Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dale Mahalko

Question Ricoh Universal PCL6: Quickly deploy user codes for many people?

We have an Active Directory domain, with a Ricoh MP C6502, using the Ricoh Universal PCL6 driver. We want to identify print jobs with a department ID, and I want to be able to set this up with minimal fooling around.

I've already had to do this at another location, where user codes (Prefs -> Job Setup -> User Code) were used in the Universal PCL6 driver, but the setup for that was just ridiculously labor-intensive.

There does not appear to be a way for me to deploy user codes to individual accounts via registry settings or AD Group Policy, because the Ricoh universal PCL6 driver settings are stored in a single registry key as a huge binary blob.

In the end I was forced to basically request every user's password, log on to their account, open their printer properties, and manually type in the User Code, log off the account, go to the next one. This is just stupid for 150 users. What does a company with 1000 user accounts do?

Is there a faster or better way, that allows me to just enter usernames and ID codes in a list somewhere, perhaps as a user attribute within Active Directory itself, which the copier and driver can use directly without me having to mess with each individual user account by hand?

I see something about LDAP but apparently that is just for scan-to-email to read in user accounts as scanning destinations?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Universal PCL6: Quickly deploy user codes for many people?

Re: Ricoh Universal PCL6: Quickly deploy user codes for many people?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mahalko View Post
    We have an Active Directory domain, with a Ricoh MP C6502, using the Ricoh Universal PCL6 driver. We want to identify print jobs with a department ID, and I want to be able to set this up with minimal fooling around.

I've already had to do this at another location, where user codes (Prefs -> Job Setup -> User Code) were used in the Universal PCL6 driver, but the setup for that was just ridiculously labor-intensive.

There does not appear to be a way for me to deploy user codes to individual accounts via registry settings or AD Group Policy, because the Ricoh universal PCL6 driver settings are stored in a single registry key as a huge binary blob.

In the end I was forced to basically request every user's password, log on to their account, open their printer properties, and manually type in the User Code, log off the account, go to the next one. This is just stupid for 150 users. What does a company with 1000 user accounts do?

Is there a faster or better way, that allows me to just enter usernames and ID codes in a list somewhere, perhaps as a user attribute within Active Directory itself, which the copier and driver can use directly without me having to mess with each individual user account by hand?

I see something about LDAP but apparently that is just for scan-to-email to read in user accounts as scanning destinations?
    I don't know a better way, be it ridiculous or not. And LDAP is for searching email destinations only. Nothing else. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I don't know your server/domain structure or if you have an LDAP server.
    One idea might be to send a bulk email to all your users, with instructions on how to set their own user codes in the printer properties themselves. You'll still have to have an email text file with your User Code numbers tabulated.
    But at least it will be a less labour intense operation.

Do you know any programming languages?
    Can you write scripts or batch files?

I'm not sure if I've helped you or not....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Companies with large number of user don't use account codes, dept id codes or whatever each mfg calls theirs. Instead they use user authentication with external server and is based on single sign on when the user logs in. Some will then use something like Papercut to track usage.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

You may want to download the Print Driver Packager NX (free) and pre-configure the driver to use Windows authentication.

Once the the driver is configured, you send it out to your users and have them run it.

This way all jobs will be identified by the user name.

Bag the association of codes and IDs; they're seldom used in large environments.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Dale Mahalko

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    You may want to download the Print Driver Packager NX (free) and pre-configure the driver to use Windows authentication.
    Thanks, I will take a look at this.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I have not tried it on the Ricoh Universal PCL6 as I prefer to use either the regular PCL6 drivers unless I have an older MFP fro which there are no 64 bit drivers. On the normal PCL6 driver, PDPNX or the older Ricoh Print Driver Editor can configure the driver to give a popup for entering the code when you send a print job. This is useful if you have multiple users on a computer or a customer, such as an attorney, who needs to enter a clnt or project code for each print job.

Dirty toner monkey 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mahalko View Post

Anotyher way arounbd this is to use the Printer Driver Packager NX tool and edit the driver to use a pop up window when you want to print. That way, if the user from 'X' Dept uses another PC in the building, then the print gets logged to the correct dept.

Might work?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You should avoid the Universal Driver completely on large networks. I never use it ever. Learned my lesson. It bit me in the rear end once and I'll never risk that mistake again. Network of about 25 workstations in a busy medical practice. The Universal PCL6 would drag down the network. Complete cluster.......customer flipping out. Had to go back a couple days later and un-install the Universal on every workstation and install the regular PCL6

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ewizzy View Post
    Anotyher way arounbd this is to use the Printer Driver Packager NX tool and edit the driver to use a pop up window when you want to print. That way, if the user from 'X' Dept uses another PC in the building, then the print gets logged to the correct dept.

Might work?
    ...if you have the print driver installed on the print server, it should be able to push down to each work station the correct print driver for that Operating System and hardware configuration along with the requirement of the pop-up to enter the dept code to be able to print....