Thread: Check List

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Geo's Avatar

Check List

Anyone have a good checklist they would like to share with another dealer regarding pre qualifying prospective clients for print /scan/e-mail Something I can give the sales / service /dispatch to fill out before delivery to be sure the client and we have the necessary information to set up the MFP for connectivity.
    Thanks in advance.

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Re: Check List

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Anyone have a good checklist they would like to share with another dealer regarding pre qualifying prospective clients for print /scan/e-mail Something I can give the sales / service /dispatch to fill out before delivery to be sure the client and we have the necessary information to set up the MFP for connectivity.
    Thanks in advance.
    If you're a Konica Minolta Dealer you can print out the DNA(Digital Needs Analysist) sheet.. It's basically what you described, and covers a good bit. If not you can create a form of some kind.

We don't specifically use one, often we don't know what we're walking into till day of set up.. Even when we get a DNA sheet, sometimes it's not properly filled out.

We are a Kyo dealer . I was hoping that someone can share a " DNA(Digital Needs Analysist) sheet" or similar checklist(s). Starting from scratch and reinventing the wheel is, most of the time a PITA.

Thanks

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

My favorite on the DNAs is when the scan to email, smb, etc, is simply checked YES. Then of course you get on site and they want to email using some completely unknown hosted site, or, "yeah, salesman said you'd hook up all 75 desktops for scan to folder". Emujo
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Any body have any ideas...Please....

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Check List

This is a controversial topic. I've seen network surveys that run to 12 pages, and ones that are only 1/2 a single page, and everything in between. Here's the essence of the problem: As the network installer, it would be nice to have lots of information ... but when you send out the 12 page survey you get one of two responses:
    1) Stunned disbelief. "We don't know all that information! Why do you need all that! I don't even know what that means!" ... and on and on.
    2) Delight. "You mean that that little machine can do all that? Sure, I want everything installed. It's free, right? Or at least included?

In the first case your network survey is mostly blank. In the second case, your customer wants 15 hours of free networking with his new $1200 tabletop MFP.

We get a better response from the one page basic questionnaire, with open ended questions, like: What scanning features will you need? If you describe four different kinds of scanning, the little guy that thinks everything is free, will want four kinds of scanning ... 'cause it can. Personally, I'd much rather work with the big company IT tech, that wants the simplest, low maintenance setup, and wants to do most of it himself. Some of my simplest setups have involved setting an IP, and handing over the driver disk.

Does that help you?
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Idiot Salesfolk aside, here's my 2 cents worth!

Network Drop: Required (Our company is NOT insured and bonded for "in wall" installation of network cable. It will either be installed "in wall" on the customer's dime, or our company will staple it to your baseboard!)

Analog Fax Line: Required (test for correct polarity...some faxes are tookey about polarity!)

Is 20 Amp DEDICATED branch line required? If so have correct socket and NO 15 TO 20 AMP PIGTAILS!

How many machines need print drivers? Get static IP address. (Our company generally does up to about 4 computers but we're flexible.) If setting up a Kyocera or Copystar, driver install will be a breeze. Just use the driver DVD and the scripted install and you will be ok. You can even show the customer how to do it.

Scan to SMB? (Local machine or network administered? If on local machine then scan user can be dedicated on each machine for MFP. If network administered, get admin to create user login for MFP so you can setup any computer easily.)

Scan to e-Mail: Get your business to subscribe to an e-Mail relay service. Machine can be setup and tested before it leaves the shop. If customer has e-Mail server, get SMTP settings from network admin.

If you are doing multiple machine install of Kyocera/Copystar, you can use KM Net Viewer to manage/copy address book settings and login/quota management from one machine to another.

Make sure customer is going to have the MFP in a climate controlled location. If you are not comfortable in that location your MFP probably won't be either!....too cold/too hot/too humid....you get it!

Make sure the customer has paper storage in a humidity controlled environment.

Can't think of anything else at the moment!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Check List

Usually just get an idea of how many pc's, if there is a server present and who the isp is.

Also very important is ring ahead and tell the customer that any laptops and p.c.'s to be set-up should be on and connected to the network.
    Nothing more time consuming and f**king annoying is getting there and some employee pointing to their laptop bag in the corner

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dickierock View Post
    Usually just get an idea of how many pc's, if there is a server present and who the isp is.

Also very important is ring ahead and tell the customer that any laptops and p.c.'s to be set-up should be on and connected to the network.
    Nothing more time consuming and f**king annoying is getting there and some employee pointing to their laptop bag in the corner
    ...or at an Insurance Agency, agents that come and go....and not everyone is there at the same time to have the print drivers for the office MFP installed on their laptops!...Fck that shiznit!

If they are an agent that comes and goes from the office, either they need to have a dedicated IT department or the insurance agent NEEDS to KNOW the basics of print driver installation!

No other way about it!