Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

4G Wireless Dongle + Separate LAN

I've got a customer running Windows 7 Pro on his laptop at a remote construction site. There was no LAN available to put the plotter (a KIP 3000) onto, so we put in a router and used that in between the KIP and his laptop. To gain access to the internet he uses a Verizon 4G USB dongle.

With this setup, he has two networks. The Verizon 4G one which gives him internet access, and the LAN we set up for him to connect to the KIP. If he is connected to the 4G network, he is unable to print over the LAN. Simply removing the 4G dongle does away with that problem, but the rate at which he needs to print and also use the internet makes this solution problematic. Is there a way to allow him to print to the LAN networked KIP while simultaneously being connected to the 4G network?

Thanks!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: 4G Wireless Dongle + Separate LAN

It may be best to contact the 4G provider for their input. It could be that they block other connections, even if not deliberately.

I have a similar problem at home. If I'm on my work PC connected to my company's VPN, I can't access any other PC on my home network.

Once I get off the VPN, it all opens back up.

On the other side, though, I frequently use the same notebook PC, tether it to the 4G connection on my phone, then connect via crossover to an MFP. I do this when I can't connect to the customer's network, and need Internet access at the same time I'm connected to the copier (some Ricoh software requires that to install properly).
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

have you tried using a crossover cable for the kip3000 and remove the router .

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blsquires View Post
    have you tried using a crossover cable for the kip3000 and remove the router .
    For what it is worth, I've heard that Windows 7 doesn't require crossover cables. I only carry crossover cables, so I haven't tried that yet.

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

have you attempted to share the network connection that the KIP is on?
    give it a try and let me know how it works out.
    I had something very similar to this a while back, just can't remember what all I did to make it work.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I think the best option would be a crossover cable. I'll try that.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If you have somehow inserted a gateway address into the NIC TCP/IP settings then remove it and see if that helps. You could also try giving the NIC a higher priority than the 4G connection and see what happens.

How about just connecting the plotter via a USB?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Have the 4G wireless dongle connected to the laptop.

Connect the laptop ethernet port to a wired ethernet SWITCH..NOT ROUTER!

Connect the printer/plotter to same ethernet switch.

In network settings, bridge the 4G and ethernet by selecting both connections simultaneously and then right clicking with mouse button and choosing bridge connections.

You MAY have to manually set the IP address on the printer/plotter to match the IP addressing schema that the 4G dongle is giving out...if it doesn't do DHCP. But you SHOULD be able to bridge connections, so that you can use both at the same time.

If there are other people using the "network", you should be able to "share" the G4 dongle through your bridged connection and have your machine give out DHCP address through the switch (don't router to avoid ip addressing conflict) or you may have to manually set ip addresses on all devices connected--ip address and subnet mask.

Good Luck!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Install the switch or crossover cable and bridge the connections through the network and sharing center.

Done it a few times myself.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?