Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to Email using Office 365 / Exchange Online

Another how to for Scan to Email using Exchange Online:

I know there have been a lot of threads about this and a lot of different ways to resolve it, but this one is working well for me so I thought I would share it.

You will need to know the following items before proceeding:
    1. Exchange Online admin login so that you can get to the Exchange Admin Console
    2. The MX record used to route email through to the Exchange Online server (this can be found by going to mxtoolbox.com and searching the sites domain name)
    3. Public IP address of the site

Steps:
    1. Log in to Exchange online and open the Exchange Admin Console
    2. In the list of items, search for "Connectors"
    3. Add a new "Inbound Connector"
    4. Give the connector a name (such as SMTP Relay Connector)
    5. Set the connector type to "Partner"
    6. Use "Opportunistic TLS"
    7. Under "Domain Restrictions", set the option to "Restrict domains by IP addresses"
    8. Add a "Sender Domain" and type in the domain name used by the site (ie. microsoft.com)
    9. Add a "Sender IP Address" and type in the public IP address (can be found by Googling "What's my IP")
    10. Save
    11. Login into your MFD and change the SMTP settings to use the MX record name (find this by using mxtoolbox.com), use Port 25 and no authentication. The device will have to have an email address that uses the same domain name as the clients though.

Hopefully that should get a few people out of a pickle.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Scan to Email using Office 365 / Exchange Online

Thanks for the info Owl. Is this connector for allowing connections that don't support SSL\TLS ? Also, I'm assuming you can only send inside the domain or does #11 mean that the authenticated user & the sender address have to be the same ?
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Thanks for the info Owl. Is this connector for allowing connections that don't support SSL\TLS ? Also, I'm assuming you can only send inside the domain or does #11 mean that the authenticated user & the sender address have to be the same ?
    This should allow for scan to email without SSL / TLS and from memory, should also allow for outside domain sending.

#11 is all about the device settings to use so that the machine will speak to the connector correctly and as the connector is unauthenticated, you must make sure that the machine isn't trying to use authentication.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thanks! I'll have to play with this when I get a chance.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    11. Login into your MFD and change the SMTP settings to use the MX record name (find this by using mxtoolbox.com), use Port 25 and no authentication. The device will have to have an email address that uses the same domain name as the clients though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaged View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    This should allow for scan to email without SSL / TLS and from memory, should also allow for outside domain sending.

#11 is all about the device settings to use so that the machine will speak to the connector correctly and as the connector is unauthenticated, you must make sure that the machine isn't trying to use authentication.
    The fact that it uses Port 25 indicates that SSL/TLS is not used. I believe that #11 means that any and all senders must be in the same domain as setup in step #8. This means that users cannot be setup to use their own personal email address as a sender, the must use their domain address.

I have one customer who uses Exchange Online. Scan to email suddenly stopped working the day after I had seen a post that some SMTPs were starting to requiring TLS. I figured that their primary SMTP changed form using either SSL or TLS to only using TLS which the machine did not support, I had contacted Ricoh support to confirm this. I contacted their IT support to confirm that TLS was required and he provided me with the relay server settings to use. Works great again. Apparently they had already setup relay servers for their IT clients as some of them had older machine that could only use port 25. A good IT service sees potential problems and plans in advance.