Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Gmail authentication

In the past scan to email with gmail has always been 100% to work for me on Konica Minolta Bizhubs.

I recently had a customer gmail account that would give a login error. I could login on a computer OK.

Then you have two factor auth which does not work with just the normal credentials. I used to use my personal account as a test. Since I add two factor isn't doesn't work anymore. Now the customer account did not use two factor auth but would not work when other test accounts would.

Then the customer created a new gmail account and only setting changed was forwarding received messages to another email. This had a weak password but it worked. The next day customer says its not working and I find it gives a login error and I made sure password is correct. I can login just fine on the PC but scans no good. So I created another account myself as I do a lot for the customers. Scanning is working again.

Anyone see any issues like this. This was a weird one for me.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: Gmail authentication

You may like to type in "scan to gmail" in the CTN advanced search box above.
    There are many previous threads on this subject.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Gmail authentication

Which Google SMTP server are you using? aspmx.l.google.com was their non SSL SMTP server. It used port 25 and could be used to send any gmail or GoogleApps account. I have heard that they no longer support it, but as yet I have not had any complaints from any GoogleApps customer.

I don't know what their SSL server was as I do not use it. I have also heard that they now require TLS instead of SSL. Some machines can uses either SSL or TLS based on the port chosen, others can only use SSL.

If all else fails, you can always setup a Stunnel relay server on one of their computers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Gmail authentication

Please let us know the settings you've inserted, e.g. mail server address, port number and if you're using TLS or SSL.

This seems like a rather odd issue. I had a similar issue with Office 365 earlier this year where scan to e-mail would work sometimes but not other times. After a long investigation I found out Microsoft were gradually updating the mail servers behind the smtp.office365.com domain and that connection settings had changed on certain servers. So potentially you could be having a similar problem where google is gradually updating settings on their mail servers behind the smtp.gmail.com domain and hence why scan to e-mail is failing most of the time. So what slimslob said could be correct, google is removing SSL support gradually from their mail servers and only allowing TLS. If this is the case try using TLS instead of SSL. TLS is via port 587.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I know about the TLS port but just out of habit use the SSL port. If I ever run into something similar I may try it but can't see that being an issue otherwise I would start seeing problems from some of the hundreds of other copiers having issues. I do know that two factor auth will not work with the normal password. I found it may work if you create the app password in the google account which is a 16 character password for device that can't authenticate with the generated pin code.
    Last edited by wseyller; 11-20-2014 at 02:38 AM.