Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

All in one I.T. Tech software.

If you could get all your I.T. printer testing software all packaged into one software program what would you like to see it do?
    If you have a package that is not performing list the reason for change.

Examples :
    cmd.exe ipconfig /all
    cmd.exe netsh show firewall settings
    telnet.exe
    cmd.exe netstat -a show port settings
    cmd.exe net share shows shares
    run32 .dll printer setting.
    iexplore.exe WIM
    password.exe safe password gererator
    mail.exe show and settings
    vm/sd card UDF format and reader
    Brothercfg.exe firmware update.
    etc

If you have personal private command.exe configurations PM message me so those settings are not made publc.

...... Update.....

Not forgetting the obvious manual search and destroy commands.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 03-08-2015 at 01:06 AM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Re: All in one I.T. Tech software.

We already have that software package...it's called a tech with a pretty good handle on DOS commands. LOL
    If you don't see your question answered in the forum, please don't think it's OK to PM me for a personal reply...I do not give out firmware and/or manuals.

Most service Technicians have a hardware toolcase with all the required tools setup and ready to use quick and easy.
    What about a toolcase for All IT Tech work? A simple and easy to use program that stores all your IT software in one toolbox.
    Simply configure the IT-toolbox to launch any individual app or run any program or DOS command at the click of a single mouse button.
    The IT-toolbox would store all your favourite DOS commands. Your favourite Apps would come together in one place ready to carry
    to each job on any thumbdrive or LapTop. Just one click will launch any app no matter how many command line paramaters are envolved.
    No need to remember special commands for each special machine or IT application, just push the IT-toolbox software pre-programmed
    software button and the commands are done instantly.

Example hand the junior staff member a thumb drive an say push the "PING" button to test a NIC connection.
    Push the "Firewall on/off " button to set the local software firewall on or off.
    Push the "My-History" button to view all the senior years of personal copier fixes and errorcodes."
    Push "Machine history " button to see what IT app or command line code you tried, or which firmware version you installed for each machine ?
    Push the"Mail to" button to send a reply or request to CTN.
    Push "Install firmware" ....
    Push "connect to cloud drive" button.

How much would all those years of senior knowledge( stored in IT form) be worth to a junior staff member...?
    How could a program like this help a trainee ? How much value would a business have if a Senior Tech could give all his
    years of copier, printer IT knowledge on to a junior staff member with an IT-Toolbox app?

Anyway, should I decide to develope the IT-Toolbox software I'm going to require a helping hand from the some of guru's on CTN forum. There are many ways to do IT software commands that show the same result; each person has their own special way of doing things

If I'm going to build the software I would like to gather together the best methods from everyone and design the main software code around everyone's own indivdual app or command set. There won't be any cost envolved or personal gain it would be a group effort from every one.Some of the IT commands will have to remain private for security reasons. Those commands will require setting on toolbox software after release.

I'll see if I can muster enough motivation to complete it first, start to finish. Writing help files any an associate paraphernalia gives me the sh!ts...

Anyway enough IT dribble, it probably aint gonna happen....

Not that that would not be possible, but the time and effort to create software to do all this you would be a programer not a tech. The junior guys wants to be spoon fed and they are more brain lazy then any of the previous generations, time is becoming more and more of an issue so good utilities would be welcome but its better to understand the root of what you are busy with. In the old days i would create batch files to do repetitive operations.

Hirens boot disk is a very cool utility to do a lot of stuff with but that is all for one platform to fix PC problems.

***** Notes *******
    1.) Hirens Boot disk. // disk formatting, other?
    1.) DOS /Shell commands // Many apps paramaters
    3.) Iexplore //wim interface firmware d/l's
    4.) Mail program // making sandwichs ..joking...
    5.)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It would be nice for the copier tech that don't have a good grasp on IT and never will. There are some in my organization like that. They normally call me to help them out. But for me it is much for convenient to manual type in commands then have to insert a USB stick in and run a program just to get started.

Otherwise I welcome it.

What are you planning to code this with.

Problem is if you are in this field you need to have good IT skills the machines are getting better from a maintenance point of view and are getting even more integrated into business workflow. With all the new API tools and enhanced security features you are sure to run into more and more complicated problems.

Someone with poor IT knowledge keeps you out of your work and soon enough you would be overworked. We had i guy working for us for a while with poor mechanical and IT capabilities, after he left my work load went down dramatically.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I can plug in a USB stick with NEWER programs that I just use a mouse.

I know how to type, but why bother????????????

I always work smart, not hard.

Just my $0.023 worth.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

If your interested, the IT tools that I use the most frequently and are the most useful are (in this order):

ipconfig/all: to get IP range, Subnet, Gateway, DNS1, DNS2
    NetScan: with port search set up for ports 21, 139, 445, 465, 587, 9100
    ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t
    LPR Jar, with a checkbox for a pre-programmed PCL6 and PS2 data capture, and a check box for Kyocera/non-Kyocera (Kyocera requires PreSribe prepended commands)
    telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 9100 print command, with a pre-programmed test message.

If it were me, and I was trying to make it as painless as possible for a junior tech, I would have my tech:
    1) insert a simple switch between the MFP and the network cable, and network cable to his laptop.
    2) acquire the printers IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS1, DNS2, and hostname from the Config Page and the print driver
    3) have my tech enter the printers config page data onto lines
    (that same IP info would be inserted into NetScan: range xxx.xxx.1.xxx to xxx.xxx.254.xxx)
    (that same IP info and would be inserted into ping)
    (that printers hostname and would be inserted into ping)
    (that same IP info would be inserted into LPR Jar)
    (that same IP info would be inserted into telnet)
    3) The top of the screen would start gathering and filling in data as acquired. Click Start to sequentially run:
    (ipconfig/all: check IP ranges)
    (Netscan: checking that printers IP appears, the appropriate ports are open, check for dupes)
    (ping IP: average ping time, any drop outs)
    (ping hostname: average ping time, any drop outs)
    (LPR Jar: successful or unsuccessful print from PCL data capture or PS data capture)
    (telnet: successful or unsuccessful test print)

With just these tools you should be able to gather:
    Config Page: IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS1, DNS2, hostname
    Compare to ipconfig/all: Gateway, DNS1, DNS2
    Compare to print driver: IP or hostname
    Ports available at printers IP:
    Any dupes?
    Average ping time for printers IP and hostname individually, dropouts?
    Successful print from data capture PCL and/or PS, and/or telnet

The program should be able to red-flag any conflicting address data, open ports, dupes, long ping times or dropouts. The tech would have to identify the successful or unsuccessful prints.

The hard part in my humble opinion, would be using the red-flagged data to point the tech to an IT solution or recommendation. You would need to create a dictionary of a sort that would use the flags to come to a direct conclusion.

Did I present that clearly? Did I miss anything? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

All in One I.T. Tech software

The first version of the IT-toolbox program will be a container base.
    This will allow you to add all your current software into the toolbox and have a click and command line option.
    The program is design to add to all your current IT knowledge it will not limit you in any way.
    Adding an unkown program will not grant you any further knowledge unless that program has been setup by someone who knows it.

Example using the ping command.
    Button1 in the toolbox software would be pre-programmed with
    [%1 cmd.exe /c ping -a 127.0.0.1 ]
    Further if you didn't enter a IP parameter you might be prompted by an edit box to enter an IP before the program executes.

A program unknown might be
    [1% cmd /c netsh f s o dis dis a ] which might or might not turn the local firewall off. The above command is not something you do every day, and most people would like to remember it, along with a few others I'm sure. Once the software button is programmed you have it quick and easy to use.
    Simply click the toolbox software button which then sets it to the command prompt(quick change if desired) ,hit enter/go button. When the buttons parameters hit the command line you have the option to change any of it's parameter before you hit enter/go. In Most cases you wouldn't bother to change any correct parameter, you would just hit go/enter key, an your "Wonder App" will execute
    along with the buttons pre-set paramaters.

I do not want to make the first version to complicated. I would like to modify it so everybody progesses along with version upates. The first version of the IT-toolbox software will be a RAG(Rough As Guts) version to see if there is any proof of concept.

The design phase should be alot of fun for the forum, you'll get to throw a lot of possible an imposible ideas back and forth... Feel free to teach me too, I'm always willing to learn new or better ways of doing things...

The sky is the limit....