Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Can't print to ANY Printer

Re: Can't print to ANY Printer

I also disable WSD at setup before it goes to the customer. I have been trying to get the field techs to disable WSD on machines that went out before I got educated about those problems, to no avail; hence the multiple calls for dropping off line, the rendering, etc.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    I have been trying to get the field techs to disable WSD on machines that went out before I got educated about those problems, to no avail; hence the multiple calls for dropping off line, the rendering, etc.
    Yup very frustrating most people just don't listen. I've given so much connectivity advise to copier techs only for them to ignore or forget, which in turn can cause issues and then my time is wasted.

The best approach is to disable WSD in the warehouse. I also don't see the point to WSD as it can be more trouble than it's worth, but printer manufactures have to add it for marketing reasons.....

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Thanks for the credit, but alas, I was thinking of something else, also.

LPR Jar is a Java based free utility that will send any .txt or .prn file to any IP address you select. Nothing to do with the print driver. It's an alternate path, if you want to think of it that way. It works similarly to the command prompt function KenB described.

Also glad you got it figured out. =^..^=
    Thanks for for the tip on LPR Jar!

Standard Windoze LPR in not part of a default Windows server or workstation installation.

While easy enough to add, it could be an issue when attempting to do so where is is not allowed, due to group policy or the like.

Since JAR LPR does not actually install anything, it avoids the issue. (It does, of course, still require Java to operate).

i personally have this very problem. While I am free to do as I wish (at least mostly, anyway) with my company issued notebook, I do quite a bit of work for a very large customer who has issued me a second notebook to work on their network (They don't allow any other PCs on the domain.). That PC has some serious limitations, and adding additional components (such as LPR) is one of them.

I plan lane on using JAR LPR in their environment this week, in fact.

Thanks again.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

One of my larger customer did have Java blocked for a period of time, so that tool wasn't of much use there. The good news is that their IT policies, while occasionally very strict, changed constantly. So no policy was permanent, and very soon opened back up. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Hi, Sandman,

I just LPRed the test file to a Ricoh MP C4503, and it printed just fine.

It says: "TESTING!!!!" in the upper left corner.

That indicates that a number of things are working correctly.

Still wonderin' just why I can't get the PageTech tools to play nice with it...

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Hi, Sandman,

I just LPRed the test file to a Ricoh MP C4503, and it printed just fine.

It says: "TESTING!!!!" in the upper left corner.

That indicates that a number of things are working correctly.

Still wonderin' just why I can't get the PageTech tools to play nice with it...

Thanks.
    Thanks Ken.
    That's it!
    But I'm still not understanding how to print the actual text from the .prn file, or what much of the info within it actually means . It's just not my Forte.
    I do appreciate all your hard work though.
    What's very strange to me, and I'm curious to know if there's a specific reason that can be explained in simple terms, is why my laptop / OS just decided over night, that it would no longer process jobs to any printer with RAW - only LPR
    Until 2 days ago, I had NEVER used LPR, and never had an issue at my office or anywhere else - except for the one single laptop in an office that I referred to earlier in the thread, and that's now printing properly too!
    Should I expect to start hearing more from clients running windows 8.1 that can't print ??

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The first experience I had with LPR was with a couple of LD015's shared on a Server 2003 box: no matter what the admin did, the only way we could get it to print was to set LPR on them. Ever since then, I've always recommended that my customers make the change to LPR. On new print servers I also recommend that the LPD service be installed and printers shared using a true LPR port instead of TCP/IP. This is especially helpful in mixed (Windows/Mac, Windows/Linux) environments since the Unix style machines can access the server queue with a little more ease. Printing also seems a little faster overall with it, and I've had much fewer problems.

As to the Windows 8.1 issue, I've got no idea unless an update hosed something in the print spooler, or is blocking some kind of communication on ports 9100 or 10001, while LPR's 515 is still open.

Quote Originally Posted by ApeosMan View Post
    What the heck is a WSD driver? I thought it was a service/port? Does it use the XPS language?

Thanks,
    Its a way for windows to discover and install network devices by using a standard Application Programing Interface (API). so the devices would respond in a manner that windows could automatically add the devices for use with only an IP address.

The driver itself stays a PS or PCL driver but the crappy version shipped with windows.

I dont understand it completely maybe someone could shed some light on this i was thinking that SNMP was supposed to do this.

BC where can i get a link to get that LPR utility i tried but got frustrated with shady installers and my antivirus going wild.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

SNMP can give you the status of a device, and some management information. Your overall interaction with the device is fairly limited with it. Many networks actually block it because of the insecure nature of the older versions of it. WSD has a little more security thrown into it, and also gives you the ability to interact with the device without the overhead of administrative tasks. Think of it this way: you want to be able to scan a document, not tell how much toner is left, WSD lets you do the former, SNMP the latter.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You can get LPR Jar from GCC printers:
    GCC File Send Utility

I've used it from a number of different laptops and PC's. It will also run from a USB stick. I've never had an issue with anti-virus. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=