Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Can't print to ANY Printer

Angry Can't print to ANY Printer

Normally, I’m resolving printing issues like this for clients, but it’s typically a printer issue. Today, it’s my own Home office problem which seems to be specifically a computer issue, and I can’t figure it out:

I have 2 network printers that are acting the same way, but for the purposes of this, my description refers specifically to the Ricoh MP201, but both behave in exactly the same manner.
    Printing is not possible from any application from my Windows 8 Laptop, but I can print from my Windows 7 machine, and my Android.
    I’ve tried connecting directly to the printer via Crossover, to exclude a router issue. I’ve tried disabling my Internet security program in case it was a firewall conflict. I’ve restarted the PC and print spooler several times. The printer (s) appear as “Online”, and I can Ping it.
    I don’t have a USB cable on hand right now, so I can’t say if that works or not.
    I can scan to email and/or folder.
    When I send a job the data light flashes briefly, then stops –almost as if authentication (or user codes) have been enabled.
    If I try sending a printer Test page, the data light flashes constantly and never stops, and the printer must be restarted to clear it.
    I thought maybe a windows update may have screwed something up, but there haven't been any installed in about 10 days.
    Did quite a few internet searches, but have come up empty so far.

I'm at a loss

Any thoughts about what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Can't print to ANY Printer

Have you checked SNMP?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Try printing something very simple, like a one line text file, but point to file, and post it here.

That way we can analyze it to see if it's something in the way the data stream is being created.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by 88hawkfan View Post
    Have you checked SNMP?
    No. I have not. I'm mostly an MFP connectivity guy (more specifically, Ricoh), so much of the I.T stuff relating to the PC end of things is not exactly my strong suit.
    Is there a quick and easy instruction you can give me to get me started? Do I use a specific program?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Try printing something very simple, like a one line text file, but point to file, and post it here.
    That way we can analyze it to see if it's something in the way the data stream is being created.
    You guys are really exposing my shortcomings today
    I just tried printing from "notepad" and that worked.
    Not sure what you mean by "point to file", Ken

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    No. I have not. I'm mostly an MFP connectivity guy (more specifically, Ricoh), so much of the I.T stuff relating to the PC end of things is not exactly my strong suit.
    Is there a quick and easy instruction you can give me to get me started? Do I use a specific program?

You guys are really exposing my shortcomings today
    I just tried printing from "notepad" and that worked.
    Not sure what you mean by "point to file", Ken
    Sorry, fat fingers. I meant "print to file". Duh.

In any case, seeing how notepad seems to be OK, please try a file which bombs: Word, PDF, etc...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Are you using the drivers from Ricoh on the Windows 8 machine, or did they get sucked in from Windows Update?

Have you checked to make sure all of the driver settings are correct? Happy fingers maybe turned a setting on in the driver by mistake?

Try a repair install of Office through Add/Remove programs and a repair of Acrobat from its Help menu. You'll need a reboot after each, and I've seen them hose the print function.

Have you tried changing the printer port to LPR, queue name lp? Ricoh always recommended LPR as the preferred printing method.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Sorry, fat fingers. I meant "print to file". Duh.

In any case, seeing how notepad seems to be OK, please try a file which bombs: Word, PDF, etc...
    I should have been able to put that together.

Just had to research how to install "Print to file", since it's not a standard option in the dialog box anymore. I've always seen it in the "ports" box but never knew what it was for. (I'm learning already!)

Just FYI, and it may mean nothing....I was originally going to upload a document that simply read "test", but it will print any document with up to 4 letters - NO PROBLEM. I tried almost every 4 LETTER word l know!

The minute I add a 5th letter, it gives me the middle finger. (Although Notepad still works)

I tried to upload the PRM file, but it is not a 'valid" type.
    Here's a link to download it from my dropbox.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94334475/TEST.prn

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Are you using the drivers from Ricoh on the Windows 8 machine, or did they get sucked in from Windows Update?

Have you checked to make sure all of the driver settings are correct? Happy fingers maybe turned a setting on in the driver by mistake?

Try a repair install of Office through Add/Remove programs and a repair of Acrobat from its Help menu. You'll need a reboot after each, and I've seen them hose the print function.

Have you tried changing the printer port to LPR, queue name lp? Ricoh always recommended LPR as the preferred printing method.
    Thanks, but Yes, I always use the ricoh factory drivers, the other printer is an OKI, and I'm the only "happy fingers" in the place.
    Also, No, I haven't tried a reinstall of my PDF reader (foxit reader) or MS office. Maybe that's next

Edit: Tried uninstalling Foxit reader, and tried the stock Viewer in Win 8 afterwards. No luck yet. MS Office may be a chore for another day.... if it comes to that
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 03-20-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You can open and read your .prn file in Notepad, Textpad, and XVI32 text editors. Notepad is the weakest of these options because you can't do anything with the null characters. Personally I prefer Textpad for it's simplicity.

Are you using WSD driver? I've had various problems with the WSD drivers, and generally select PCL6 or PS3. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

There at least appears some issue in the file.

PageTech PCL Reader throws an error when I try to open (view) it, yet works correctly with a file I created with the Universal PCL6 driver.

I will try downloading the test file you provided to a few machines in my office on Monday.

BTW... Notepad++ is a good editor to look at the code in print files, although it can't wrangle non ASCII characters very well, as Blackcat mentioned.

It's a free download, and smokes Notepad.