Thread: Scan to email

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Scan to email

Hello

I have been setting my customers up with either gmail or live (now outlook) accounts. I usually use gmail but when it doesn't work I have been using a live (outlook) account. Recently I have been getting a lot of calls from the customers that are set up with live accounts that scan to email is failing. The message in the log is failed smtp authentication. Does anyone know what smtp setting I should use now? Thank you in advance.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Scan to email

I use gmail all time on mostly Konica Minolta and Canon. With gmail you must enable "for less sure apps" after creating the account. Use SSL port 465 or Start TLS 587.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to email

When using Office 365 as your email service, the default is START TLS. Many MFPs only support SSL. Even if you set port 587 it will still only use SSL and the cloud server will not accept authentication. Microsoft does allow you to set up a relay server using either SSL or port 25 for your email domain. There are some restrictions with these relay services. Depending on what you set up you could be restricted to authenticate only specified email users (i.e. your MFP email address) or send only from specified public IP addresses (i.e. your router's public address). In one of the possible settings there is a limit on the number of emails that can be sent in a 24 hour period.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Post Re: Scan to email

Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure if I explained the issue that I am having. I have set up these customers over the past few years and the scan to email has been working fine. None of these customers do a major volume of scanning. All of a sudden they all called me within a day saying the scanning has stopped working. I checked the log and they all say SMTP Authentication. Here are the settings that I have been using

Enable SMTP Client Enabled
    Enable SSL Accept all certificates without CA
    SSL/TLS STARTTLS
    SMTP Server Address smtp.live.com
    POP Before SMTP disable
    Authentication login
    Login name email address
    Password password for the email address
    Port 587
    SMTP Client Connection Timeout 30 seconds

The fact that a number of different clients all using live accounts have had the same issue leads me to believe that something has changed.

Again thank you for any help.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Could it be that they upgraded to a new version of Windows?
    Best I can tell Microsoft made some vast security changes in Windows 8, which could cause something like this.
    Still, I don't deal with issues like this very often, so this is probably wrong. Sorry.

Technician

Why use a gmail/live account only for the device?!

Inherent in your standard practice is the fact that all there outbound scans are saved in an account. This could be viewed as a privacy/security risk. From memory I think an email was sent to live account holders to authenticate the accounts use after the change to outlook.com. Although that was in Aus over a year ago.

If the account is the same as the customers email account, then they would see all the outbound scans and be able to clean them out of the account themselves. Are they also having problems with outbound emails from there business?

Input the ISP SMTP server details. In Aus usually no SMTP authentication is necessary if you are on the same network as the router connected to the ISP. In this case authentication problem solved.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Scan to email

All I know is that MS has phased out @live.com. Existing accounts are apparently unaffected; However pinging smtp.live.com returns no response either, so it seems that there has been a change there too.