Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    to alcohol or not to alcohol

Re: to alcohol or not to alcohol

50-50 soft soap and water to clean rollers, covers, cabinets. Depending on fragrance, smells nice too. Alcohol on original cover and for pen/white out marks. Besides alcohol can be expensive,

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eliaso View Post
    try this
    small garlic with a drops of vinegar and drops olive oil
    True ?

Garlic is sulphur based,Vinegar is water + acidic acid, and olive oil is a natural hydrocarbon base oil.
    In simple terms ,you have a miscible water+acid mixed with a non-miscible oil ????
    Once the water and acid have cleaned the area, you will be left with an oily residue. The oil will make everything look shinny new.
    You might be better off using grandma's cleaner. ie. cup full of vinegar mixed with half a cup of bleach (Sodium-HypoChloride). If it's a mouldy area, add a couple of drops of clove oil.

Well you never know till you give it a go, it might work on natural rubber compounds... I might even try it one day....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

I have two flip cap bottles of cleaner in my tool case.
    1. 1 x bottle of Methylated spirits.
    2. 1 x bottle of Spray-an-Wipe (Ammonia based) cleaner.

Use of the above cleaners depends on which machine I'm working on.
    It all depends on the roller I wish to clean. I will often use water with a squirt of alcohol to speed up my work day.

I will sometime use water and alcohol on a coarse scour pad to clean really grubby rubber rollers.

In saying the above. I would like to know the MFD rubber compounds used for various climates and different countries. I live in a warm tropical climate. The rubber compound used in other climates might make a major difference to the cleaner I would use.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I have two flip cap bottles of cleaner in my tool case.
    1. 1 x bottle of Methylated spirits.
    2. 1 x bottle of Spray-an-Wipe (Ammonia based) cleaner.

Use of the above cleaners depends on which machine I'm working on.
    It all depends on the roller I wish to clean. I will often use water with a squirt of alcohol to speed up my work day.

I will sometime use water and alcohol on a coarse scour pad to clean really grubby rubber rollers.

In saying the above. I would like to know the MFD rubber compounds used for various climates and different countries. I live in a warm tropical climate. The rubber compound used in other climates might make a major difference to the cleaner I would use.

The MSDS sheet for menthylated spirits is quite alarming.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    The MSDS sheet for menthylated spirits is quite alarming.
    I actually use in most part "Ethanol" not "Methanol". Very near the same solvent properties though.
    Methylated spirits is a mixture of both Ethanol and Methanol in various ratios, depending on the manufacturer.

Your right about the statistics for "Ethanol" use it is quite alarming, especially when mixed with Coke & ice cubes in a glass...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    I actually use in most part "Ethanol" not "Methanol". Very near the same solvent properties though.
    Methylated spirits is a mixture of both Ethanol and Methanol in various ratios, depending on the manufacturer.

Your right about the statistics for "Ethanol" use it is quite alarming, especially when mixed with Coke & ice cubes in a glass...

Well, Mr. matrix, was just looking out for you there when i saw the MSDS for the stuff, just had to push the red button. You know the saying, if it works for you, then by all means.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    The reason i stay away from oil based cleaners for the rollers are, if they are not completely cleaned off the rollers, then the oil can be transfered to the drum, dev, transfer belt and it make a simple cleaning job into a troubleshooting print quality problem. Most of the guys seem to like wd40, so i guess it works well. Has anyone tried KRUD CUTTER ?.
    Thanks for the post. I have seen this happen as well, usually the engineer gets carried away and spray and prays and the oil is transferred through the machine and is a bugger to clean out. WD40 on a rag only is my rule.
    Hey what ya doing? - just screwing around.

thanks everyone for all your input and suggestions and your time to respond. I think I have enough info to make a decision and majority rules . I am going to say no to alcohol and only keep a small supply for those one off times when its actually needed.

we need to remember and treasure those special moments at work when we really enjoy what we do...trade those old machines in and smash the crap out of them...

Hey what ya doing? - just screwing around.

I would be afraid to transfer alcohol. Better to drink it with a hot piece of steak and a roast potato. I love that kind of food, but I'm getting fat

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    to alcohol or not to alcohol

i have been using D-Ink on rollers for years. i have had times i use windex and it doesn't always clean well enough. usually if i break out the D-ink then i am back in business.