Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Does your company charge for scans?

Does your company charge for scans?

Just wondering how many of you out there work for a company that charges for scanning and if so what do they charge and how do they bill it? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Does your company charge for scans?

Everybody wants to charge, but nobody seems to be brave enough to do it first.

One thing that makes it hard to get numbers is the fact that few if any machines have an easy way of getting the counts, totally unlike copy and print meter clicks.

If, however, you are running Equitrac (or similar) getting the counts and assigning charge rates gets easy.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Interesting thread....
    I have passed the same question back and forward through the grey-matter a couple of times.

My reasoning :
    The business world is heading toward the paperless office in one sense.
    For business to move to a paperless office they'll require a scanner.
    A notable fact, a scanner has moving parts and consumables ie.,feed tyres,white plates,mylars,etc, that require regular replacement.

So if the customer has a benchtop dedicated standalone scanner unit, then I cannot see any reason why you cannot place a maintenance agreement on the scanner as per a normal MFD. The scanner machine will require periodic maintenance an of coarse a periodic cost involved.
    The only way for a periodic cost is through a meter reading of the scanned pages.

Should we separate the MFD scanner maintenance away from the current MFD maintenance agreement, an thereby having two separate maintenance agreements? It could work for business like legal firms who do a lot of page scanning to PDF's.

Just my two five cents worth.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Technician

It seems complicated to administrate and competitors could easily offer free scanning to tempt customers away if we did charge. The route we have chosen is to offer stand alone scanner that are faster and high volume than the copiers and that has lead to profitable professiknal services deals.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk