Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Reynolds & Reynolds Automotive Dealer management software

Does anyone have any copiers installed as a printer in a car dealership using Reynolds & Reynolds management software?

I am of the opinion that Lexmark is the sole preferred laser printer/ MFP provider.

Thanks,

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Reynolds & Reynolds Automotive Dealer management software

No, can't say that I do.

However, I can safely say that some software is designed to work correctly with a certain brand of printer, even only certain models in some cases.

Check this link out; it's fairly obvious that Lexmark in the printer of choice: Printers for Automotive Dealerships | Lexmark | IBM | Okidata | Paxar Monarch | AMT Datasouth
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

i have a dealership in town that used R&R tell a couple of days ago. they had a canon irac2230 online and were able to use it when there Lexmark was down. the owner also had a small non Lexmark printer in his office. Lexmark is preferred but they can setup any print driver for any manufacturer....

The problem is that yes Reynolds & Reynolds can install a non-Lexmark print driver but they do not want to. I can see from their point of view it is just extra work and opens them up to having to provide support on the whole printer industry for little gain for themselves. I was hoping somebody might have a current Toshiba print driver installed at a R&R car dealership. There are a lot of them out there.

[QUOTE=KenB;550683]No, can't say that I do.

However, I can safely say that some software is designed to work correctly with a certain brand of printer, even only certain models in some cases.

Check this link out; it's fairly obvious that Lexmark in the printer of choice: Printers for Automotive Dealerships | Lexmark | IBM | Okidata | Paxar Monarch | AMT Datasouth

Yes, I saw the same link as well. The Okidata is for an impact dot matrix printer. Thanks,

A few years ago I had a payroll service that used a DOS based (believe it or not) payroll software.

Admittedly, DOS application printing requires a driver for each make / model of printer, unlike Windows.

The app only supported a handful of HP models.

About 6 or 7 years ago, we put in a new Ricoh machine; it worked fairly well. I even took that a step further, and used the virtual printer settings to create a new queue, which allowed duplex, hole punch, and stapling. Saweeeet!

When the lease was up, we put in a new model (MP C4503), and struck out. Fonts and margins got all weird, and I never got the finishing that worked so well previously to function. Grrrrrrr...

Turns out that the PCL interpreter in the newer model was different.

The rules for PCL printing change unexpectedly and without warning over time. What worked flawlessly at one time flopped miserably a few years later.

I don't see why the software manufacturer is still stuck in a DOS world. When I spoke with their support desk, I was told that a Windows version was in development, but no time frame. Sheesh!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I have a dealership that uses D ealertrac, The dealership is using HP printers and were having an issue pulling paper from specified trays. The dealership called me and told me what was happening, I went there with my lap top and it worked perfectly. I to;d them it was a D ealertrac issue. they called d ealer trac and were told that they do not support HP and they would have to buy a Lexmark printer to resolve the issue (Bullspit) Here is the kicker... this dealership has used HP printers for years with no issue with Dealer Trac,... now all of a sudden it has to be Lexmark? Sounds like hog-wash to me. Well, in the end, they seemed to get the software to work with the HPs regardless of whether or not they support it. Sound like an inside job to me, I don't know if these companies are related in any way.

Yes, I saw the same link as well. The Okidata is for an impact dot matrix printer. Thanks,
    Bet you find the dot matrix printer in the finance guy (or gal's) office. They are normally used for finance contracts, which are multi copy forms.

I just bought a new car a few months ago, and got to see it all up close and personal.

I asked if it was going away any time soon, and he said that it actually was, as the newer version of their software would support printing the multiple copies on a laser printer.
    Last edited by KenB; 02-10-2017 at 03:09 AM.