Duplex at rated speed?

We do most of our printing in duplex. Not all copiers state their speed for a4 duplex in their specs. So my question is:

What machines are there (both office mfc and production) that will print at their rated speed (or close to it) in duplex on a4 paper?

Re: Duplex at rated speed?

ZERO, Duplexing will always slow output speed. Also folding and stapling will slow output
    Just like toner yield will almost never happen
    Best test is try a sample output on equipment your planning to buy

Only equipment I've seen was High speed printing press used to print ad's and newspapers

It depends on the way the duplex works. If its "duplex on the fly" meaning non-stack type, printed faces and ppm will be the same.
    With on the fly if a page is fed from the tray or from the duplex it makes no difference.
    When it comes to finishing you give the finisher twice the time with duplex.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Duplex at rated speed?

Also keep in mind the media type. Heavier paper required additional heat and slower printing time. The specs are written for A4 simplex 75gsm. Changing any of those specs changes the output speed. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Duplex at rated speed?

Not sure why this would be a big issue. Most manufactures state duplex speed as "up to" XYZ speed because of all the different factors, i.e. paper size, type, etc.

When copying there is a big difference if the Auto Document Feeder is "dual scan". Meaning that pages are scanned front and back at the same time. Any duplexing will slow most machines considerably compared to the regular ppm (pages per minute). Unlike a dual scan ADF, pages being printed have to be turned over to do 2nd side. Never saw a machine that could print front and back at the same time. Don't think it could even be possible.

Thanks all. I thought I had read that the km c6085 will print a4 duplex at full rated speed but i can't find any reference for that now so i may have dreamt it.

Duplex speed is important to me as that is where we want to gain productivity improvements. If none of the specifications state it then i will just have to test more machines to time them.

Our printing is mostly a4 duplex plain paper, with some insertion of tab pages.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Duplex at rated speed?

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    ... Never saw a machine that could print front and back at the same time. Don't think it could even be possible.
    There's a line of Oce' MFP's that printed both sides in the same process. It imaged and fused in the same pass. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a laser based printer though. I've been in the same room with a few.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Duplex at rated speed?

Hey blackcat. That is wild. I looked up that Oce and it looks like it is actually a Canon copy-press machine. The process is called "Océ Gemini Instant Duplex Technology".

Going to look into it a little more to see how that process works. Sounds really cool.

Use to work on the Oce 3165's and 2090's. Its a thing on its own. Used a LPH and a super long OPC belt with rubber transfer/fusing belts. The cleaning rollers needed changing for every 80K prints! other than that and the 1000 page output tray they where happy to print night and day. Was a total overkill to get toner onto paper.

Transferring toner from the OPC to a transfer belt then another transfer belt for the second side and then transfered to pre-heated paper from the first and second transfer belt at the same time.
    Whatever