MXM283N Dirty spot on scanned copy using document glass

HI Experts,

Please help. My machine has a problem scanning of page using on a document glass. Please see the scanned copy, I marked with red circle the spot problem. There is a portion of a discoloration from an image, but when I use the ADF, the copy is crystal clear.

I cleaned the document glass, all the 3 mirror glasses and the outer lenses of the scanner but still nothing changes. Maybe can you tell me in what particular parts do I need to focus on?

A great help is very much appreciated.MX-M283N_20190125_031336_001.jpgMX-M283N_20190125_033421_001.jpgMX-M283N_20190125_022115_001.jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: MXM283N Dirty spot on scanned copy using document glass

It's a focus issue. A color scanner can produce a very interesting panorama of colors when out of focus. There are quite a lot of possible causes. I'll list them from simplest to the most complicated:

Is the white matt on the bottom of the DF torn or the foam missing? Does the matt hold the paper down to the glass evenly all over?

Are the DF hinges wearing out, allowing the DF to raise up at the rear, not holding the original down properly. A good test would be to place your original on the glass, leave the lid up, then place an extra ream of paper on top of the original. If you get a focused image, you'll know that the original is not being pressed down.

Is the scanner rail gunked up with thick grease or dirty? I've had good results from cleaning the rails with alcohol, then lubricating with straight weight 30w motor oil (like for your lawn mower). 3 or 4 small drops spaced evenly along each rail.

Are the scanner glides loose, falling off, gone, cocked at an angle, etc.? They can be refitted, and epoxied in place if necessary.

Are all the mirrors securely mounted in the holders? It's very easy to dislodge a mirror or leaf spring while cleaning optics. Speaking of cleaning optics ... that will take care of those thin black lines.

Are the scanner wire ropes loose?

One of those should take care of it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Unhappy Re: MXM283N Dirty spot on scanned copy using document glass

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It's a focus issue. A color scanner can produce a very interesting panorama of colors when out of focus. There are quite a lot of possible causes. I'll list them from simplest to the most complicated:

Is the white matt on the bottom of the DF torn or the foam missing? Does the matt hold the paper down to the glass evenly all over?

Are the DF hinges wearing out, allowing the DF to raise up at the rear, not holding the original down properly. A good test would be to place your original on the glass, leave the lid up, then place an extra ream of paper on top of the original. If you get a focused image, you'll know that the original is not being pressed down.

Is the scanner rail gunked up with thick grease or dirty? I've had good results from cleaning the rails with alcohol, then lubricating with straight weight 30w motor oil (like for your lawn mower). 3 or 4 small drops spaced evenly along each rail.

Are the scanner glides loose, falling off, gone, cocked at an angle, etc.? They can be refitted, and epoxied in place if necessary.

Are all the mirrors securely mounted in the holders? It's very easy to dislodge a mirror or leaf spring while cleaning optics. Speaking of cleaning optics ... that will take care of those thin black lines.

Thank you. Will concentrate on the focus.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MXM283N Dirty spot on scanned copy using document glass

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

hit if that doesn't fix it.. push it out a 2nd story window! no Brother you bout covered it! Spot on as always!