Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    cleaning product for rollers

have read a couple of other threads on here. but what is your favorite go to for cleaning ADF rollers and paper cassette rollers? i have heard water, WD-40, rubbing alcohol, INX?, mean green, de-solv-it, D-ink (my favorite go to, but it has a strong smell) D-ink has saved me when other cleaners wouldn't do the trick. i have also heard 409 works well. i know rubber rejuvenator helps a bit, but also has a strong smell. i originally was trained using D-ink. so just wondering about other options that don't smell as strong, but does an excellent cleaning job. and yes i replace the rollers when they get worn out.
    as johnny 5 said in short circuit need more input...... lol

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: cleaning product for rollers

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    have read a couple of other threads on here. but what is your favorite go to for cleaning ADF rollers and paper cassette rollers? i have heard water, WD-40, rubbing alcohol, INX?, mean green, de-solv-it, D-ink (my favorite go to, but it has a strong smell) D-ink has saved me when other cleaners wouldn't do the trick. i have also heard 409 works well. i know rubber rejuvenator helps a bit, but also has a strong smell. i originally was trained using D-ink. so just wondering about other options that don't smell as strong, but does an excellent cleaning job. and yes i replace the rollers when they get worn out.
    as johnny 5 said in short circuit need more input...... lol
    Wellll...depends on the roller...

grey/brown/black rollers - I like Neopost Roller cleaner; but Stoner brand B164 Rubber Parts Cleaner smells a lot better and does a good job.
    Black rubber roller - we used to use WD40 on those and it worked good.

orange/red/yellow/clear'ish urethane type rollers - water or simple green if they have something stuck to it.

desmopan polyurethane or other copolymer - Neopost roller cleaner or water.

soft white rubber - nothing, it works better dirty.

Rubbing Alcohol by itself is bad on grey rubber- it dissolves the silicone impregnated in the rubber which leave little bitty holes..those fill up with fine paper dust and long term; will make the rubber hard and slick.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

i mostly use acetone. works everytime

Kerosene/paraffin works for me. You don't want to use an aggressive solvent it can harden or otherwise turn the rollers into snot.
    Whatever

We used Simple green for almost everything. Old Konica trick

Super Tech 500+ Posts CompyTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    We used Simple green for almost everything. Old Konica trick
    Maybe it's me. But, I've found Simple Green not much more effective than any other cleaner. Maybe it works better at full strength, and or mixed with some alcohol? At least it smells pretty good compared to others.

I've used all the other stuff mentioned in this thread. It all works well but I carry none of it anymore, as I've since moved on to using Stoner plastic surface cleaner. Our company buys a case of it for us so I just carry a can of that and it works pretty good, it just doesn't smell very good though. For super stubborn stuff I might use a couple drops of 3n1 oil on my towel. I find it cleans just as good as WD-40, and I don't have to carry a can of that crap with me anymore.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I use WD-40 for most. Alcohol for some.

Simple green is very bad for you. Don't let the "green" name fool you. The shit is carcinogenic...proceed with caution!

Not cleaning "paper feed" rollers that much anymore, mostly registration, transport, etc. For Kon/Min if it's to a point the "paper feed" rollers need cleaning and/or have over 100k then I just replace them.