Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You should have charged her for the extra drum and PM parts....

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Those darn skinny trees...

Years ago, I had a Canon NP200 (Gulp!) customer who called in for jamming.

When I got there, I found that the paper in the cassette had some very nasty curl to it.

I opened a "fresh" ream, and it was no better than what was in the machine.

When I showed the somewhat air-headed bleach blonde office manager the problem, she said, "Oh, that must be because it came from the outside of the tree!"

I had the whole service department rolling when I told the story at the next meeting.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    problems with bad paper

Paper manufacturing

Just a side note on paper jams. During college I worked in a paper plant @ Mead Papers. The sheets come off slit into six or eight sheets and are then rotary or guillatine cut to length. I've lost count of the number of times we've identified intermitent jam problems by being aware of this fact. Even if your copier does not have svc data output of jam history a quick visual ck of the paper in the drawer will sometimes reveal defective sheets every six or eight in the stack. The cause is dull, misaligned cutters at the mill.

Copymutt

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Good tip Mutt, thanks!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copymutt View Post
    Just a side note on paper jams. During college I worked in a paper plant @ Mead Papers. The sheets come off slit into six or eight sheets and are then rotary or guillatine cut to length. I've lost count of the number of times we've identified intermitent jam problems by being aware of this fact. Even if your copier does not have svc data output of jam history a quick visual ck of the paper in the drawer will sometimes reveal defective sheets every six or eight in the stack. The cause is dull, misaligned cutters at the mill.

Copymutt
    I had this very thing happen many years ago, where every 6th sheet was cut short by about 8 mm or so.

I haven't seen it since, but that's one of those things you never forget.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

OMD-227
    Got a client just upgraded their AR-M700 to a Hercules MXM1100. They have several pallets of Xerox Performer Plus paper still in stock, which ran perfectly fine for many years through their Dragon.
    Now, this paper continuously sticks to the drum on the Hercules, goes under the drum pawls and wedges itself into the cleaning blade. Have already got latest transfer belt # and adjusted transfer voltages in an attempt to resolve this. No other Hercules I look after is doing this, but then again, no-one else is using Xerox Performer Plus paper either.
    The client had a box of Top quality Reflex paper (Aussie stuff) which I ran the entire box of 2500pages through no problems at all. Put the Xerox paper back in, wrapped around drum within first 10 pages! Client happy to use the Xerox paper in their other MX colour machines until all used up. Big sigh's of relief from me!! I knew there was nothing wrong with their machine. Just not compatible with the Xerox Performer Plus paper. Everything else tried has worked fine.

Service Manager 100+ Posts Claudio's Avatar
    I have been on probably 3 different service calls in the last year for jamming where it turned out to be a few sheets of paper in the cassette stuck together due to some type of glue dripped on one of the edges.
    I had also noticed lately more paper dusting and many times when looking at the papers being used seem to have a rougher cut.
    I had not yet realized there was a deterioration of the quality of papers out there. But now after reading your comments, I'll be paying more attention to the paper brands.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    It seems, the higher the volume capability, the worse the issue of lousy paper related problems.

I've found Grand and Toy is likely the worst of the bunch. It seems like they talc the paper. Run about 20-30k of this crap through, and the sync roller as well as the paper dust remover are just clogged with this white talk like substance. It is getting frustrating having to service a machine that typically is capable of going several times that count. I am not sure if it is talc or simply recycled paper dust that's been cut so many times, it has a talc like consistency.

I bring this up to a few customers from time to time, show them the problem and why its doing this. In all but a few cases, the customers fully understand and change to the better brands. I try to appeal to their financial point of view, by equating jams and poor image reproduction and service down time because of jamming and other related issues is because of the crap paper. All those that changed, go figure...I hardly ever see them anymore, except when changing consumables. Cleaning the rollers at those intervals is all that is needed, I hardly have to replace p/u and feed and seps anymore at those places.

To you crap paper manufacturers out there, see this???? ,.!..

"Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirton.M View Post
    To you crap paper manufacturers out there, see this???? ,.!..

Do you really think they care? People will always buy the cheap paper.

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Do you really think they care? People will always buy the cheap paper.

No, I as just bein safecious.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.