Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs04 View Post
    I just LOVE it when the on site (Or external) IT guy says "I'll install the driver myself" because I KNOW the first call will be "WE can't staple" and the driver won't have the finisher set up!!... Or the LCT... OR the paper bank... Great way to gain points with the operator!! Just say "We won't charge this time and when something does go wrong remind them how you helped last time!
    Oh. man, that seems to happen a least once a week! I've had some of the otherwise sharpest IT guys out there not add the accessories.

Of course, then there's the smart@$$ who tries to pin the goof-up on us.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Insurance is vital and make sure the real bosses ie people who will get hit with the lawsuit know whats going on. If your in a big company with a legal department of its own etc then i doubt you have to worry much but if i was with a small dealership find out what is in place. whats the offcial policy of your company?

Remeber you may never actually "bring down" or be to blame for any issue on the customers network but if the customer accuses you/your employer someone still has to deal with the lawsuit.

No point your supervisor/call controller saying to you over the phone "well you go its a simple task" and the directors turning round saying well you broke our policys/regulations your responsible!!

If the company do keep asking you to do network calls ask for formal training preferably with certification which people recognise A+ and N+ are a good start. While its good of them to give you a few days shadowing the network guru of the company or a few old computers and what not to play with.
    It may even be really good for the way you like to learn and develop but means you have nothing to show either customer or potential employers ;-)

Dont ever bite off more than you can chew and I would advise you document all that you do (keep a copy and leave a copy with the m/c or cusomer) and explain clearly to others what you have done.

Documenting the calls covers you (best if you can get it signed while at the customers) and of course is useful for remebering what you did last time both at that customers and others.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I advice all copier techs to seriously consider taking short courses in IT.Forget this rubbish of being only a copier tech or old time copier-tech. be old physically but mentally young. The term photocopier itself is next to obsolete. modern digital copiers are essentially network devices. its therefore important that a technician be highly knowledgeable in all technical aspects of these modern machines in order to keep abreast of the technological advances and maintain the market. modern copiers are essentially IT EQUIPMENT. Thanks.

Unfortunatly us old school copier techs have had to come into the world of IT.
    But the IT techs (in my experience) seem to think we are an inferior species!!
    Example..... I posted an issue 3 days ago, installed a ricoh cl7300 printer & setup on customers network with their remote support centre.
    Following day i get a call saying nothing printing, turns out out that remote support people had been looking through web monitor & locked printer down to one IP address!!
    Who gets the blame?? 'YOUR PRINTER DOESNT WORK!!'
    Bloody IT techs eh!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickg View Post
    why not get a wavier signed before doing any work. This way you are not liable if their system goes down.
    That's what we do. Too many times we got burned from customer bull shit. Get a 100% liability waiver, and oh by the way...we charge an IT fee if we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducttape n Glue View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when we had the first /HPCanons something like LS or LPT( my memory is gone) something or something printer engines in 1984 and we would go out on a service call and say well its not the hardware so it must be the software or the computer and then the customer would call the software guy and he would say its the computer and the computer guy would come out and say it was the software and the printer, well you get the idea, nobody back then did it all and the customers had to pay everyone or in some cases no one cus it was the fault of the something else so they did'nt want to pay for the call.
    There was also what I think was called Errors and Omissions Insurance or some other liability insurance that the dealership added to their policy and that was suppose to cover them/ tech in just this very case, if you brought down a customers website or any other IT related issue they may have caused.
    Our neighbor has an online retail store that does 3/4 of a million a year in business and his provider went down for 2 days and they blamed a tech doing work at the server. Well 3/4 of a million divided by 365 days x 2 = $4,109.58 on average and their insurance paid.
    Recomendation: Buy the insurance if your a dealership that plays with the customers IT stuff. It should be part of your standard liability insurance policy, check.
    That's a good idea too. Get a waiver anyway though.

Quote Originally Posted by Copier Doc View Post
    Unfortunatly us old school copier techs have had to come into the world of IT.
    But the IT techs (in my experience) seem to think we are an inferior species!!
    Example..... I posted an issue 3 days ago, installed a ricoh cl7300 printer & setup on customers network with their remote support centre.
    Following day i get a call saying nothing printing, turns out out that remote support people had been looking through web monitor & locked printer down to one IP address!!
    Who gets the blame?? 'YOUR PRINTER DOESNT WORK!!'
    Bloody IT techs eh!!
    i can SOOOOOO relate to that. 99% of the IT depts that i have to deal with wouldnt know their arse from a hole in the ground
    Last edited by slybot; 10-29-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: beer