Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If i take down someones network what are the penalties in Australia.

Should copier technicians be able to do network or it service calls.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    I do IT work all the time. I will say this, if you DO NOT know what you are doing, this is probably an area you shouldn't touch. At least not in a customers office. This could look VERY bad on the company. Just don't do it. I doubt you'll fry something, but.. you might take something offline that really needs to be online all the time. (ie server) If you wanna learn, do it in your office with your IT guy. If he's not forthcoming... break something and watch over his shoulder as he fixes it. (j/k)
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

I personally avoid messing with servers at all costs. A server usually has sensitive and/or important data, and if anything happens - even if you're not at fault - usually the blame goes to you.

To someone who doesn't know IT, you're to blame for the loss of all the data on the server, even if all you did was add a printer driver or configure a scanning destination.

Not worth the risk, IMHO.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    While the customer may not come after you personally, dealerships have a very definite liability exposure in this area.

Somewhere around 1997 or 1998, we were once accused of taking a customer's Internet connection down, and it took a day for their "farmed out" IT guy to get there to restore it.

The customer claimed that since most of their income was Internet based (something to do with securities), that we owed him roughly $7,000 for a lost day's work.

We ended up giving him all kinds of discounts instead, along with a lot of promises and guarantees.

Rumor had it that if he had insisted on payment, that he probably would have gotten it if he pursued it enough, as we would have spent more than $7,000 in legal fees alone, and most likely would have lost.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I do network installs all the time and in a lot of offices there is no IT person. You have a choice whether to have them hire out for an IT guy or just go ahead and do it yourself. I just do it, it's more fun than fixing some old dirty copier.

Like RRodgers said, if you're not sure what your doing, practice on the network in your office.
    If the boss won't let you touch the office network, they can't really expect you to do anything on the customers network.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    I do network installs all the time and in a lot of offices there is no IT person. You have a choice whether to have them hire out for an IT guy or just go ahead and do it yourself. I just do it, it's more fun than fixing some old dirty copier.

Like RRodgers said, if you're not sure what your doing, practice on the network in your office.
    If the boss won't let you touch the office network, they can't really expect you to do anything on the customers network.
    Good point on the no IT staff.

With the economy being what it is, I see more and more customers who have no IT at all. They may or may not have someone who they use on a per call chargeable basis. Time was when everybody had an IT staff, or at least someone they dealt with on at least a weekly basis. Those days are gone, along with the glory days when an IT professional could name his price - almost literally.

That's what makes our jobs tougher when it comes to connecting our devices. We need to go in just deep enough to make our stuff work, yet not break the customer's network.

Further complicating matters is that machines now integrate more with the networks, with enhanced security capabilities, LDAP integration, and the like.

Copier dealership management should be aware of this, and I'm sure that 99% of them are. They should know that attempting an install without the proper training and preparation can spell disaster.

As already mentioned in this thread, the key is to practice, practice, practice. While most all of my techs have been trained, the single biggest complaint I hear is "I don't do this often enough to be good at it." The more that they get to ride with an experienced tech the more different network environments they will see, and be better versed when out in the field on their own. I've had a few guys get really good in doing setups in the demo or training room, but don't do so hot in the customer's office.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    As mrwho said even if you do nothing wrong and something happens then you get the blame
    You can do something as simple as add a printer to a stand alone computer but if that computer has any problems after you finish then customer will say what did you do to my computer it was working fine until you touched it
    I had this happen several years ago took forever for customer to confess that the computer had been having issue before the printer was added
    I have been doing this for 30 years and as Paul Harvey said "and now for the rest of the story"
    Which is what we never seem to get anymore from the customer

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

I am an IT / Copier Tech and I deal with both situations all the time and there are two trains of thought on this.

1. If the network is that important, they will have an IT person that will install drivers and get everything going with the advise of the copier tech. If they can't be bothered doing so and get the copier tech to install the drivers, they are running the risk of a network failure. If a new copier is install in one of my IT based sites (wheather it be one of our copiers or another manufacturer) then I make sure that I install the drivers, setup scanning etc. If I stuff it up, then it's my fault and I have to fix it. If a server crashes while a copier tech is installing drivers, then I didn't do my job properly. I know first hand that IT people love to shift the blame because they can be really really lazy.

2. If your client doesn't have an IT person (in house or out sourced) then just let them know straight up that problems can sometimes occur when installing driver etc and that if it happens, then you can't be put to blame. If the client doesn't like that, then suggest they get an IT person to do the work for them. 98% or all problems when copier techs service a network is pure coincidence any way and the other 2% can usually be put down to a bad driver disk which would have the same effect if the IT person put into the server. Again, as other have al ready said though, if you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it. It's the same with photocopiers that we service and maintain. If we don't know what we are doing on them, then we don't touch them.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. lol
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

I think a lot of undue pressure is put on techs to be a "do it all" guy (or gal!) by salesreps setting unrealistic expectations of just what the service department can do.

"Don't worry Mister Customer, DOS, AS400, Oracle, SAP, UNIX, no problem... they see this stuff every day!"

No pressure there!!

why not get a wavier signed before doing any work. This way you are not liable if their system goes down.