Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Technician

Statutes in the U.S.

In the U.S., the statute is that the manufacturer must provide replacement parts for 7 years after the product has been discontinued. Typically a new piece of gear is discontinued 3 years after it has been introduced. In some cases, manufacturers have continued producing parts. For example, Sharp introduced the 2022 series in the early 90's. Until recently, we were still able to get some parts, but that series was an exceptional run. The same is true for many HP printers. For the most part, I would say 10 years is the rule of thumb, just as we might say 70 years is how long a person can live. Time, environment, use, and the number of users all tend to reduce lifespan on a copier.
    What we really want customers to know though is that the technology is moving at the speed of computer technology. That means that every 6 months to a year, the technology makes a significant leap in reducing cost, improving productivity, or simplifying connectivity. That means that if they are waiting ten years, they may be significantly behind the competition.

Rule of thumb in these parts is 5-6 years.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonerjockey.com View Post
    What we really want customers to know though is that the technology is moving at the speed of computer technology. That means that every 6 months to a year, the technology makes a significant leap in reducing cost, improving productivity, or simplifying connectivity. That means that if they are waiting ten years, they may be significantly behind the competition.
    I agree! Customers need to realize that MFPs are computers, too.

Not only are parts an issue, as they always have been, but the software side must be considered as well.

The machines need to keep up with changing operating systems, email protocols, security constraints, and applications. As MFPs integrate deeper and deeper into the network, it's not just print drivers to contend with.

For instance, do you really think that a machine that came out in 2006 will play nicely with Windows 9, or Mac OSXI when they become reality? The manufacturers only go back so far when writing new software and firmware. It's crazy to think that they will continue to develop updates for antiquated machines.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I agree! Customers need to realize that MFPs are computers, too.

For instance, do you really think that a machine that came out in 2006 will play nicely with Windows 9, or Mac OSXI when they become reality? The manufacturers only go back so far when writing new software and firmware. It's crazy to think that they will continue to develop updates for antiquated machines.
    Ahh yes but unlike a computer they invest much more money in a MFP and are hard to ween off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    Ahh yes but unlike a computer they invest much more money in a MFP and are hard to ween off of it.
    Very true.

That being so, it's up to both service and sales to convince the customer that the MFP won't just "automagically" adapt to any changes that come along.

I suppose that if the customer will never upgrade his OS or any applications, an MFP would last for quite a long time... but I know of no one who could ever commit to that. (BTW... applications tend to cost much more than the hardware when you add them up.) Even if the customer were to never change his applications, the next PC he buys will come with Windows 7. I'm sure the same thing will hold true for future versions of Windows as well. Ditto for the Mac side of the world too.

I've seen tons of cases where the customer went out and spent a ton of money on the latest and greatest hardware and software, then it was our fault because our equipment either wouldn't work correctly without a chargeable upgrade, isn't fully functional, or just plain wouldn't work at all.

We become the bad guys for selling junk. That gets even further compliacted when the customer says. "Our salesman told us that ALL future updates for this model are included in our contract!". Grrrrrr

Sometimes you can tactfully try to explain the difference between an "update" and and "upgrade", but that doesn't always fly. (Updates are normally provided at no cost, while upgrades are normally chargeable.)

Believe it or not, a few weeks ago, I actually had a customer asked us BEFORE he upgraded! I was both shocked and impressed. He has a Fiery E-8100 and asked us if it was OK to upgrade his Macs to OSX 10.6. Turns out that we'll need to update the Fiery to version 1.11, but no worries.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Talk about timing... I just found this on the 'Net:

77e9dbfb-70cf-4d68&.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    yeah I've seen older. took me almost an hour to install C4040 drivers on an 166mhz with the Giant LEDs on the front of the case telling you its speed.

Technician
    never heard of forward compatabile!!

toner monkey 100+ Posts jamesyboy's Avatar
    we have a ongoing dead list
    its all about part availability once japan stop making the parts is on the no more support list
    a major component failure then is basically game over
    we alawys fix if we can but advise the customer might be the last fix
    seems to be 7 years tops these days but its getting shorter most serious users are generally on 3 year contracts these days allways feel a bit sorry for the small guy who bought a machine thinking it was forever but ha ho there you go disposable world and all that

Evan Fitz
    I don't know you,i saw that you answered a question and pasted a link to this,anyhow,i would love your help on an issue pertaining to a family matter,having a very hard time,i won't ignore you or your answer.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here