Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    "abuse and neglect clause"
    Y'know how when you drive into a tree you have to pay the first couple hundred of the repair? And when you go to the Dr., you pay for part of that visit too?

I firmly believe that copiers should work the same way. Lower monthly premiums but then they pay a bit for each call. It'd help keep b.s. calls to a minimum and give the customer incentive to take care of their stuff.

(not gonna happen, but I can dream!)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    You are quite right my brother, unfortunately your employers are businessmen and you are a technician - a big difference. You'll have to bear the situation for sometime. Did you try to discuss the situation with your employer?

RMB
    then a very fine subject tell who ask tech rudi here are several old Gestetner machine in 2254 ... .. canon np6220 by cons ... it had a little new when it changes according to each business situation

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS View Post
    Dear b003ace, your management can NEVER ever enforce that "abuse and neglect clause" in the service agreement for purely the simple reason that they look at the customers from a completely different and opposite view from yours. they(customers) are the very reasons you people are in business, hence the "go-slow" attitude by your employer. In fact don't expect them to do anything about it.
    This is an ADDENDUM to earlier articles i posted on this thread. The one thing customer require from any equipment or system is "maximum up" time. A system may posses excellent RELIABILITY,i.e. have a low chance of failure during operation, but if and when a failure occur, the repair time (or "down time") must be short. No customer wishes to wait for weeks for the repair to be carried out and in some cases even a few hours can be costly.The availability of the machine is a function of the mean time taken to repair any fault and includes the time taken to diagnose, locate and then repair the fault.

I can guarantee that such a policy is enforced in my office. There is a given for some wear and tear, but if the same damage occurs more than once, the customer will get a bill. Case in point, we tell customers not to use labels in the machines for more than one run through, because the fuser dries out the glue and the paper and there is a high likelihood the label will peel off inside the machine if it is run through a 2nd or third time. Examples are those mail label sheets. I usually give the customer fair warning, I do not speak to the receptionist, I speak to the office manager. I recommend to all my customers to use one of those Dymo Label printers, much more economical and practical.

All customers get one freebie. The next event, they get the bill for our time. Most have never repeated a third time. There is a fine line to this to be sure, but the end users need to know not to abuse the machine. I pay a lot for my car, and I take care of it. I do not want to have to bring it in for a blown engine because I neglected to put oil or whatever else into it as needed. I would fully expect Chrysler to charge me for the repair if it was due to neglect on my part. I can assure you, that will never happen. These MFPs are expensive machines, and they should be treated well, and the technician should not have to repair willful damage to those machines without consequence.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Quote Originally Posted by b003ace View Post
    Don't count on those "idiot" clauses. We had abuse and neglect exemptions in our contracts, but management NEVER enforced them. In fact, management would make us technicians look like fools. We would be required to warn the customer after the first repair for negligence or abuse, that the next time would be chargeable. We would go out again for the same problem, and management would say "Warn them that it won't be covered". I had one customer broke the rear fences in the paper trays FIFTEEN TIMES. I finally stopped "warning" them, because management would never charge them for it. Yet that same management would charge other customers full retail for a first time scratched drum. I got so that on a first time scratch, I would report it as a cleaning scratch and let the customer know that it wouldn't be covered if it happened again. At least they never made me the fool on drums that way.
    We almost always send a bill to the customer. All out techs handle all the billing. So if I feel a customer have done something wrong (idiotic mistake or damaged the machine because of rough handling) I make a bill, and charge them for the time, travel, tools, parts and so on.
    The more bills I make, the happier the boss gets (because the bill is much (2-4 times) higher than our actual expences) We also get some kind of bonus of the amount we charge. Not in money directly, but in fringe benefits of some kind.

Sounds like a good idea. Have a customer deductible on certain things. I still say the manufacturer should be liable for their machines for longer. At a minimum I see no reason why they shouldn't have to warranty most of the parts for three years or three years worth of recommended usage, whichever comes first; exempting certain things like supplies, feed tires, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Y'know how when you drive into a tree you have to pay the first couple hundred of the repair? And when you go to the Dr., you pay for part of that visit too?

I firmly believe that copiers should work the same way. Lower monthly premiums but then they pay a bit for each call. It'd help keep b.s. calls to a minimum and give the customer incentive to take care of their stuff.

(not gonna happen, but I can dream!)

All very very good ideas and solutions. I hope b003ace is taking note, and may be have to impress it on his emlpoyer to rethink his position on the issue. I do strongly agree with STIRTON'S approach though , that these customers NEED to be EDUCATED about proper use and care of these machines, by non other than we the techs, you can do this everytime you make a visit. it is through this way that they can "show the machine some respect", and even LEARN a bit of "Responsibility".

If they pay enough for damages they may feel required to learn how to use the machine properly. I send out bills for customer errors for 30-40 000 us dollars a year, at least...
    My boss likes that as well. And the customers learn quickly that if they treat the machine bad, they have to hand over some money for repair.
    We have much fewer servicecalls now, because of customer errors then before.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here