Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts goldencup's Avatar

Need Comments & Suggestions For Color Copiers

Hi, I need some comments and suggestions for color copiers.
    What model can you recommend on the following machines:
    CANON
    BIZHUB
    RICOH
    other brands also if you like.
    Which do you think in your opinion is the best machine? Also in your experience, what are the advantage and disadvantage of the machine you have chosen.

by the way my machine requirements are:
    *35 to 50 CPM
    *can print and scan
    *can connect to any operating system (XP, Windows7 32&64bit, Mac OS 10.4 or later)
    *easy on color calibration
    *can print fast on large file like AutoCAD, PDF, Hi-res Jpegs or PSD
    *very good paper feeding performance
    *cheap toner and parts

Hope you can share your knowledge. Thank you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Need Comments & Suggestions For Color Copiers

This is a very subjective question. I personally have dealt with all of them and I have to say one of the only ones that I have installed and sold that does everything you listed is a Xerox Docucolor. If you want one of the best color copiers out there that is very reliable and will actually hold it's value for some time, that would be the copier to get. It has a built in fiery along with a very reliable paper feed system. The biggest down fall is the fact that it's one of the most expensive models to own and the supplies are expensive, but not as expensive compared to a Konica Minolta.

The Konica MInolta is a very decent color copier and can hold it's own in every respect. I think I actually saw one client run leather through it one day. All jokes aside, it will drive you crazy with the jams. Konica Minolta's jam a lot and that's an understatement. It can take a tech over an hour to do a simple feed roller change and the parts for a Konica Minolta are darn expensive. The supplies will bankrupt you and you better have a spare. If the imaging unit decides to crap out on you, you are down and there is nothing you can do until you get another imagine unit. What bothered me so much about the bizhub is the imaging units have more life left in them then what they are allowed.

Ricoh... No, just don't do it. They have an "ok" business class color copier, but really it's nothing to write home about. The absolute best thing about a Ricoh (3228c/3245c series) is that the parts are extremely cheap. Get into the MPC series and the supplies are very expensive and the machines are buggy. The Ricoh's develop strange logic issues and you can blow a lot of money replacing boards until you find the right one that isn't "married" to another board that shares the same values to one feature of the copier. I believe Ricoh has the absolute worst color copier produced award (1224c 1232c). Yeah, I remember when I was a service engineer for them. We were informed that Ricoh was offering a "buy back" program so that those copiers were out of the customers offices.

Canon's have a very good black and white copier. I have heard good things about the upper end Canon color, but to stay far away from the lower business class colors. I do not have much experience in Canon color except for some of the seg. 3 machines.

The one manufacture to stay completely away from would be Toshiba. Wow... that's all I can say. Probably one of the most unreliable and expensive to maintain color copiers out there.

Like I said, it's a very subjective question and I gave a very subjective answer. I have personally dealt with all of the color copiers you listed and have given you my honest opinion on each one. I personally like the Xerox Docucolor and if you have the resources, I would certainly look into that.
    CompTia A+ Certified
    CompTia Net+ Certified
    CompTia Server+ Certified
    CompTia Project+ Certified
    OP Scanshare Certified

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs down Re: Need Comments & Suggestions For Color Copiers

Your best bet would be to do your own research and not ask others to do your leg work for you.