Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician
    Charge Corona Wire

Charge Corona Wire

Hi all,

This is my 2nd post, I must say that this site has been a God send to me to help with learning how to work on various machines.

I've got my hands on a Ricoh C720 Pro machine. Unfortunately one of the charge corona assembly units seems to have 3 broken charge wires.

Unfortunately Ricoh much like the others don't much want to have a bar of you if the machine is not on a service contract, then as per usual they are not interested in putting the machine on a contract due to PM units reaching or past life despite the machine having come straight off a contract elsewhere! Guess it is the best way to get machines out of the market.

Anyway... back on track. I see that you can buy charge wire gold plated by the roll in China. .06 and .08 ... Is there any reason why I can't re-string the units with this stuff? or is there something special and magical about the Ricoh wire that I don't understand?

On another note, I need a PSU for my old Xerox 2060 creo scitex... Love the 2060, great machine but broken rip - no printy print!! Any solutions out there to the very unusual 3Y PSU with 2 large connectors?

Cheers all
    James

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

Re: Charge Corona Wire

Sure you can Restring with Wire but its a Bitch of a Job to do as the ricohs tend to use the really thin wire.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Charge Corona Wire

If you've got lots of patience and lots of corona wire you will eventually get three wires strung. Keep in mind that it's one of the few skills that techs pick up over the years. I started out on Canon, which means 6 wires per machine x 5 calls per day = 30 wires a day to get the hang of it.

Welcome! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    Charge Corona Wire

Cheers,

I think I'm brave enough to give it ago. The thinnest stuff I could find was .3u which I think is around .06mm so might be a tad thicker then the broken wires in the unit.

Will post back with my results!

Thanks all.
    J

Technician
    Charge Corona Wire

So for those interested... I re-strung the unit with some 60mu wire from China. about 50% thicker than what was originally there. I put it in the machine and then the unit next to it broke it's wires too!!! so ended up doing that one as well.

Anyway... the machine now works perfectly. The thicker wire seems to have made no difference to the performance across the various test prints.

I think that the thicker wire may stand up better to the cleaning mechanism in these units, but it's just a thought and I'd be keen to learn of any reasons behind the factory use of the ultra thin wire.

Damn site cheaper than buying Ricoh parts! Albeit patience testing.

Cheers
    J

Senior Tech 100+ Posts doug94550's Avatar

Well Done. Many years ago I had the tota; dis-pleasure to work on the original Canon CLC 500. On these, aside from the corona, you also had to string the grid. Thin gold wire and if I remember correctly there were 24 turnbacks. Back and forth. Back and forth. And then you were done and took a look at it. DOH!! You missed one grid. Tear it out and start again. Back and forth. Back and forth. The irony is that once I had done enough of them to get really good at re-stringing a grid, they retired the box. Progress I guess.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar

Just be sure you have a spring hook to make an easy job of it. In a pinch I've used a bent up paper clip.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.