Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Okidata MPS 711c Color Printer winkling envelopes - fuser rollers too tight

Hello, I just sold an Okidata MPD 711C Printer to an account and it is wrinkling / crinkling envelopes big time. They only do them occasionally and this is the first time they have tried. The fuser rollers are crushing them as they go through because the rollers are so tight. You can see the impression of the back flap and back seams in the front of the envelope it is squeezing them so hard! At the very end the wrinkling shows up because it has compressed it so hard it stretches the paper a little and so there is excess paper with no where to go if that makes sense.

There is no adjustment that helps and Okidata does not have an answer. I have tried various paper weights in the driver and on the printer's panel and different envelopes with no improvement. I leave the back door open but there is no improvement over leaving it closed. There is no adjustment on the fuser. A Monochrome model we have does have a setting for the blue release lever (you have to open up the machine to get to it) to go in an up position for envelopes. I bet this is a clue they should have done that with this one. I can see the problem clearly - it is just compressing them so hard it's ridiculous! There is actually no paper type setting for envelopes, just bond, labels, heavy 1 2 or 3 and rough. I tried them all with no difference.

Has anyone actually opened up the fuser unit and adjusted the springs inside to lessen the pressure a little so this doesn't happen? Not sure that would really work though. Others must have had this problem, I can't be the only one. I am so sorry I sold this machine that can't print on envelopes!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Re: Okidata MPS 711c Color Printer winkling envelopes - fuser rollers too tight

Sounds like your only options now are to replace the machine with one more suited to their needs, or print labels instead of the entire envelope.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

you for your suggestion. I was hoping to hear from anyone who may have run into this with Okidata and how it was resolved if at all. The dealership I sell for is having their Sales Rep come out for general purposes and I will see if he can help. Service wants me to go out with Avery brand envelopes before they will proceed to help and I can't find them anywhere, no one sells them any more! And I am sure they are not going to do any better anyhow, it's a design flaw I suppose.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Oki has one main engine that runs envelopes quite well, it's the 9650 aka 3641. Xante actually OEM's this engine as an envelope printer. BTW why do people think they can run a folded up glued together piece of paper through a printer and not get wrinkles??????????
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Thank you for the information on the large Okidata. Unfortunately they are a small realtor and don't need that type of printer, they only do larger runs twice a year to a few hundred customers. As to the reason why we I think we should be able to run envelopes is their old Xerox Phaser ran them just fine as well as all the Ricoh's I've sold do them as well as all the HP's I have worked with. I am trying to convey the fact that the fuser rollers are set way too tight and it is compressing them beyond belief. You have to see it to believe it I guess. Thanks again.