Rudyp

reliable copiers / brands?

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, if this gets moved or removed altogether, I'll understand.

I'm currently managing an office with a Konica BIZhub601 printer with about 1,500,000 copies clocked in. It has recently been giving us problems and the technicians have been recommending we replace the copier for over a year.

How long to copy machines normally last? We purchased this copier in May of 2011, I would've thought this printer would have lasted at least 5 years.

If the copier keeps breaking down everyweek like it has been the last 3 weeks, we may have to start look into getting another copy machine, which has me asking, what copy machine brands tend to be more reliable? Is rebuilding or refurbishing our current copier an available option?

The purpose for our copy machine is to copy and print black/white letter sized pages, and scan. We don't even use the staple finisher. We've been printing about 30,000-39,000 pages on a monthly basis, 34,400 average.

Any advice, information, or suggestions is appreciated.

If there is any key words or phrases you have to recommend i can use the search option as well.

Thanks everyone!
    Rudy

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: reliable copiers / brands?

First of all, the last Konica equipment I worked on was analog, so please take this with a grain of salt.
    That being said though, it might be more productive to judge a machine's lifespan on the total print count rather than time.
    Also, you might want to see if you can find more help here:
    http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/

Service Manager 250+ Posts Zackuth's Avatar

These machines are supposed to last longer than 1.5 million, but they do have to be regularly maintained. There are parts that have to be replaced at a certain amount of pages, skipping this could cause issues. We have over ten in the field all with over 1.5 million, all have maintenance done when required and are all running great. Running only 34,400 on average might also be an issue. Underusing the machine might also cause issues.
    Last edited by Zackuth; 11-21-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Had another thought.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Rudyp

Thank you for the replies.

I'm not necessarily going by age of the printer, which is why I indicated the number of prints we're doing. I figured it's like understanding a car with certain mileage on the odometer.

I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing as underusing a copier. This makes me curious why the technician recommended we get two printers of the same caliber for our office next time.

I'm learning alot going through this forum, and have grown to distrust our technicians. One of his complains is that there is too much toner dusted around inside our machine. Reading through the Konica Minolta section, I found a few threads pointing out that this model tends to dump toner, and in those threads, everybody has commented on how they try to vacuum and clean the machine carefully and whenever possible when servicing a bizhub 601. I only seen our technicians bring a vacuum once maybe twice.

I want to tank you all for sharing your knowledge. I will keep reading through this forum.

Also, our general manager authorized to start asking for quotes on a new copier. If anyone has any brands or models they would like to suggest or recommend I avoid, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
    Rudy

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    reliable copiers / brands?

Toner dumping is a known issue on this copier. there are remedies but no silver bullet cure.

yes, these machines can be underused. it's important for a high volume machine to run at high volume. it keeps the toner and developer cycling and not idle.

as far as reliability, I would buy a 8 year old Kyocera 6030 before the a new Konica 601. That being said, copiers are not appliances they all need service, they all have quirks, they all have consumable parts, they all get abused by end users.

There are truly a marvel of engineering.

Kyocera has a 85 ppm copier that is serviced every 300 k! Kits are installed on each service! I'm certified on canon, Kyocera, ricoh, finding that canon is overpriced there production models do not perform well! If cost is issue Kyocera is the way to go! They have come a long way! The Kyocera 8501i are doing very well, now they got all updates taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk