Technician

Paper feed makes paper to accordion

Hello!
    I just cleaned one of my drums and then made 500 prints without any problem. Suddenly the paper wouldn't feed, it just makes the paper look like an accordion.

(I have an FR3950ep)
    Thanx!
    Last edited by The Dark Knight Risos; 07-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Paper feed makes paper to accordion

Does the paper make it to the timing/guide rollers? If not, check to see if there isn't something stupid in the guides that direct the paper to those rollers (like the small rock I once found, or the more frequent labels that caused me grief). Use a really bright flashlight when looking for that, as I've encountered some that were really hard to see otherwise.
    That's quite possibly the only reason I've ever seen an accordion jam in any Riso.
    (Similar problems made me look like an imbecile a couple of times, and I really don't like that. So I am probably more fired up about this than necessary. Sorry.)

Technician

Thanxs for your reply!
    It makes it to the rollers and goes just under the plastic on the first roller but doesn't go further. The machine says that it's a first paper feed area jam but I suspect that the problem is in the second paper feed area. Checked the p-disk but the timing looks correct.
    Also checked the stripper pad section and tried to adjust it but didn't help. Found a lot of dust though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight Risos View Post
    Thanxs for your reply!
    It makes it to the rollers and goes just under the plastic on the first roller but doesn't go further. The machine says that it's a first paper feed area jam but I suspect that the problem is in the second paper feed area. Checked the p-disk but the timing looks correct.
    Also checked the stripper pad section and tried to adjust it but didn't help. Found a lot of dust though.
    Yeah, the dust is a byproduct of the robust feed system that Risos have. A patient person can feed paper stock through a Riso that would cause a standard copier to self destruct. Those types of paper tend to emit vastly larger quantities paper dust than standard copier paper, though.

So I guess the next thing I would check is the operation of the sector gear. Make sure it is swinging back and forth properly, as it drives the guide roller. If you are really careful*, you should be able to move the sector gear in one direction by hand until it stops, and let it return to its previous position by itself.

* I'm not sure how familiar you are with the back of your machine, so I feel it is important that I warn you about a couple of the hazards you will find there, which are sharp edges and really strong springs. Be very careful around them so you don't get hurt.

Technician

Hey, thanks for your input! We actually manage to mend it. Something, maybe a combination of dust and excess colours was blocking the first sensor. Screwed of the whole front of the riso and dissembled it. Learned a lot. Also found a lot of paper dust. So next step is to clean the machine!
    Thanx again!

Thanks for letting us know what you found!