Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Removing print cylinder from dead RZ990 - manual release?

I have a dud RZ 990 - when powered on, the 'wake up' button flashes though nothing else turns on... Any thoughts on where to start with this?

I would like to remove the print cylinder from the Riso but since it doesn't turn on, I was wondering if there was anyway to manually release the drum? I know the old GR's had a lever underneath the drum carriage that could be flicked to release it... does the RZ have anything like that?

Thanks!

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Removing print cylinder from dead RZ990 - manual release?

I've never seen the MZ990, but I think on other MZs there's a hole in the cover beneath the drum that you can get to the drum latch. I'm pretty sure that you just have to push in to release the latch, and if the drum is at home position you're good to go.
    As far as the machine being dead, it might not hurt to see if 5VDC is making it to the Mechanical Control board. CN1 is the connector for that on the lower numbered MZs.
    This might be stupid, and I apologize in advance if that's the case, but have you tried resetting the machine by holding down the "Reset" key while turning the machine on?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I took the cover off and there is no obvious latch that I can see underneath or around the drum, but I'm not sure... anyone know? I've attached a pic.

Always try hitting reset first, unfortunately it appears that this riso has gone through some hard times, alot of the rubber parts are crumbling apart, the feed tray is pretty bent and it appears there was a mouse living in it at some point...
    IMG_1811.JPG

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Removing print cylinder from dead RZ990 - manual release?

Quote Originally Posted by gillje View Post
    I took the cover off and there is no obvious latch that I can see underneath or around the drum, but I'm not sure... anyone know? I've attached a pic.

Always try hitting reset first, unfortunately it appears that this riso has gone through some hard times, alot of the rubber parts are crumbling apart, the feed tray is pretty bent and it appears there was a mouse living in it at some point...
    IMG_1811.JPG
    "I've never seen the MZ990, but I think on other MZs there's a hole in the cover beneath the drum that you can get to the drum latch. I'm pretty sure that you just have to push in to release the latch..."
    From Iowatech in previous post.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Oops, I missed that. Got it out now, thanks alot!!