Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    JimHickcox

Question Making a dumb old Riso RP (3100ui) talk to a much newer computer

I just bought a cheap Riso RP 3100ui from a church. It was wicked cheap because it was giving them an error relating to having a master on the cylinder, and they had other copiers, and what-have-you. So I snatched it up. Because I want to print stuff, who doesn't? Anyway, I've futzed with it and I got it to replace the lack of master with a blank one, and it's not giving me the error, so maybe I fixed that, or maybe it will be next post.

Anyway - right now I'm trying to make my relatively modern laptop running osx 10.9.5 talk to this fifteen-ish-year-old machine, which has no idea that osx exists at all. It has an RJ45 port on the back, so I guess someone installed that at some point, so I've tried stealing what I assume is the printer driver off one of the discs included (RISO RP3100(U)), which of course my computer doesn't recognize. I plugged in with a cat-5 cable, and the two machines don't seem to care about each other. Is this a thing that anyone has up and running? A newer computer talking to a Riso machine that Riso doesn't offer newer drivers for? It would be ridiculous for it to just be garbage now.

Thanks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Making a dumb old Riso RP (3100ui) talk to a much newer computer

Quote Originally Posted by JimHickcox View Post
    I just bought a cheap Riso RP 3100ui from a church. It was wicked cheap because it was giving them an error relating to having a master on the cylinder, and they had other copiers, and what-have-you. So I snatched it up. Because I want to print stuff, who doesn't? Anyway, I've futzed with it and I got it to replace the lack of master with a blank one, and it's not giving me the error, so maybe I fixed that, or maybe it will be next post.

Anyway - right now I'm trying to make my relatively modern laptop running osx 10.9.5 talk to this fifteen-ish-year-old machine, which has no idea that osx exists at all. It has an RJ45 port on the back, so I guess someone installed that at some point, so I've tried stealing what I assume is the printer driver off one of the discs included (RISO RP3100(U)), which of course my computer doesn't recognize. I plugged in with a cat-5 cable, and the two machines don't seem to care about each other. Is this a thing that anyone has up and running? A newer computer talking to a Riso machine that Riso doesn't offer newer drivers for? It would be ridiculous for it to just be garbage now.

Thanks.
    You could try running from a Windows XP machine via an emulator or directly from another PC or laptop running XP.

There are drivers that can be found here on the Riso USA site: PrintDriverEmbedded

Hope this helps!