mediumrare

Unhappy Urgent Help Needed. Stretching and PPD's.

Hi All,

New to Riso, so may have to bear with me. Two parts to this one.

Part One

I have finally got my GR3710 and SC3500 speaking to 'Windows XP' (virtual machined on my Mac OSx 10.10). It ran a test page alright, although was overlapping near edge greatly, with a bit of fiddling of the in tray adjuster it seems to be sorted on that front.

However, the prints produced are still overlapping the far edge of the page. This time it is due to a stretching of the file. Almost as if it reads my file as a large square file, but only has a4 to print it on. I have attached some pictures below, one showing the file being sent to printer, the others what is coming out. The font is definetly stretched, but the give-away will be the registration marks and the title for the book 'Presence' - somewhat ironically - missing.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 23.00.18.jpgIMG_5679.JPGIMG_5680.JPGIMG_5681.JPG

Part two

This one seems like it will be an easier fix, I want to make a .ps at A3 size. My usual routine for this is to 'file > print' from indesign, 'select postscript' and then just my desktop printer under PPD dropdown. However, my desktop printer doesn't print beyond A4, so when I follow same routine for an A3 file, I can't select anything under ppd. Do i just need to download a driver for any A3 printer? and can anyone nudge me in right direction for a suitable one?

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated, am overrunning a deadline and didn't expect this much faff in communication between comp and riso (how naive).

Regards,

Henry.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Urgent Help Needed. Stretching and PPD's.

Does the print get stretched if you make a master by scanning an original on the Riso's platen glass? If not, please ignore the rest of this post. It will not be helpful.
    But if it does, you might need to clean the write roller, which is the black roller that is under the thermal head in the master making area. Avoid using alcohol, as it dries out the rubber. While turning the roller by hand, make sure that there is a constant amount of resistance to your effort by the roller's drive motor. Also, check the metal roller next to the write roller for resistance to being manually rotated too, both rollers are driven by the same motor, and the set screws in their drive pulleys sometimes come loose.
    If none of that works, the write roller might be bad.
    I stink at Riso computer interfaces, so that's about all I can say.

The magnification is all wrong i dont know if that is adjustable on the RISO you can however change the XY ratio from 1:1 to something else from your computer to compensate for the difference.
    I think in adobe terms its called scaling and should be on one of the print windows.

Roller problems with master making will compress the image not stretch it.

Yes just get a PPD for an A3 printer. If you have an A4 only description file if will not be possible unless you edit the PPD.
    Whatever

mediumrare

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Does the print get stretched if you make a master by scanning an original on the Riso's platen glass? If not, please ignore the rest of this post. It will not be helpful.
    But if it does, you might need to clean the write roller, which is the black roller that is under the thermal head in the master making area. Avoid using alcohol, as it dries out the rubber. While turning the roller by hand, make sure that there is a constant amount of resistance to your effort by the roller's drive motor. Also, check the metal roller next to the write roller for resistance to being manually rotated too, both rollers are driven by the same motor, and the set screws in their drive pulleys sometimes come loose.
    If none of that works, the write roller might be bad.
    I stink at Riso computer interfaces, so that's about all I can say.

unfotunately the scanner is producing ok. Thanks for your help though, sure it may become useful in the future.

mediumrare

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    The magnification is all wrong i dont know if that is adjustable on the RISO you can however change the XY ratio from 1:1 to something else from your computer to compensate for the difference.
    I think in adobe terms its called scaling and should be on one of the print windows.

Roller problems with master making will compress the image not stretch it.

Yes just get a PPD for an A3 printer. If you have an A4 only description file if will not be possible unless you edit the PPD.

Hi Allan,

I am using acrobat reader to print, and can only find this mention of scaling (screenshot) in any of the dialog is there any other way/place I may be able to access those settings? I have included two screenshots of the other dialogs that seem to be specific to the Riso. One is the original settings (letter etc.), and the other what i have changed it too (A4 - although I have tried several size and other options in hope).

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.24.06.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.23.36.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.22.39.jpg

Also, any reliable sources for A3 ppd files?

Cheers,

H.

mediumrare

I have just noticed another pretty obvious factor which may or not be having a major affect one this. The driver I have downloaded is for a FR3950A, using the SC3500. I am using a GR3710 with a SC3500.

Could this be having a bearing on our scaling issues?

My apologies the scaling works in Ai.

Yes the wrong printer driver could be the issue.

Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation Use this to find open source drivers and PPD's
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
    Hi Allan,

I am using acrobat reader to print, and can only find this mention of scaling (screenshot) in any of the dialog is there any other way/place I may be able to access those settings? I have included two screenshots of the other dialogs that seem to be specific to the Riso. One is the original settings (letter etc.), and the other what i have changed it too (A4 - although I have tried several size and other options in hope).

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.24.06.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.23.36.jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-14 at 07.22.39.jpg

Also, any reliable sources for A3 ppd files?

Cheers,

H.
    I am not convinced it is the driver settings, but maybe so since as far as I can tell the FR3950 driver seems to be for only GR3750 and 3770 machines as well?

With the printer queue open, can you print a TIFF or JPG? Just drop it right onto the queue window. Format it accordingly of course before sending the job. Also it will take forever to print but see if same issue occurs.

Also, on the 3710 control panel, is the 1:1 button selected?

See this thread as well - linotronic driver may work for you...
    Driver for Riso CI 300 needed

Riso Techs - could this also be a switch issue inside the machine related to paper size? I wouldn't think so since this same set up supposedly worked for the previous owner of this machine...