Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

ZipRip UC6 went crazy

Anyone here familiar with a ZipRip UC 6 on a service level?
    Our external one is hooked up to the Ricoh JP8000 and started one day to tell us it is not connected (after the jobs got spooled). As I am no Windows expert and the Scanner seems to produce acceptable results, I never started to dig into the problem deeply. But here seems to be the right place for a lot of knowledge, so maybe somebody likes to help me to start searching for the problems?

I suspect the computer itselve, as we already exchanged all the Electrolytic capacitors at the PCB a few years ago. But perhaps it is just a dump Win problem?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: ZipRip UC6 went crazy

Our ZipRip is still out of order. If someone with hig knowledge is around, please speak up. I still didnīt start to care about it, and make the recent stuff with the scanner. But it would be cool to have the RIP online again one day.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Is there really nobody with some ZipRip UC6 knowledge on board? If would know what the "custom board" at the ZipRip is doing exactly I could start to search for another similar computer that may be a replacement for the recent one, and switch all the cards and PCI devices.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For what it is worth, I'll take a guess. But take it for what it is worth.
    It sounds like the user of that machine recently upgraded their version of the Windows operating system. For many years, Windows was the object of derision for all the security attacks that were possible, so beginning with Windows 8 and even moreso with Windows 10, Microsoft got rid of a huge amount of components which could cause such problems.
    Unfortunately, older machines were built to use older versions of Windows, so they can no longer cope without a firmware upgrade or a new driver. So that would be your best course of action.
    If there is an older computer around that is idle, you might try setting that up as a print server. I did that back in the day and got to use some older printers for longer then their commonly accepted life cycle.
    Sometimes none of that will work though, so you may just be out of luck.
    Sorry if I'm way off base.
    It's just a guess after all.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Oh, sorry, seems there are some misunderstandings.

First of all, I am the end user. We are driving a non-commercial room for printing and various finishing options for non commercial usage, like students, cultural and political stuff. So I am the end user myselve

About the ZipRip RIP and printserver for the Ricoh Digital Duplicator JP8000, I wrote just a few lines in my first posting, as it I thought it is common knowledge what it is. Mainly it is usual Win 98 Computer (presented around 2001 or 2002 for 4k bucks), for the Ricoh stuff, containing a PCI networking card, a guard Card (that sets everything back to the original system config at every reboot), plus an interface card to the Ricoh port, plus some custom hardware board. This hardware board seems to do the "raster-job" and computes all the PS or PDF jobs.

So this Win software at the RIP directly, started to tell me that it is not connected to the Copyprinter one day. Of course it is connected, but I cannot tell if the computer of the ZipRip is broken somehow, or if it is some wired Win98 failure, ...

BTW here is the URL to the former manufacturer: ZipRIP Products & Support

Technician

Hey,

I actually have a JP8000 as well but with an embedded card the uc5e. could you tell me what's going on with your system? did you get it resolved? i bought an older computer for this thing a windows xp model with a parallel port but am getting no data signal i guess.

i hit ht buttons on the back the reset and test both worked out so i know the card and the printer are in communication. it's just computer to printer seems to have a problem? short of checking a different parallel cable (ordered it for this monday) anything else i should be looking out for?

i found a service manual for my controller at Service Manual/Parts List: (C931), ZipRip UC5e

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Well our Ziprip UC6 is back online and working well. After a very long periode it simply worked again this week (after we didnīt care about it for more than half a year). We identified a broken harddisk to cause several problems. So the RIP will get a new HD with an well working software backup. Right now it works without any issues.

Of course that will not work with an internal UC5 sadly, as the UC6 is an entire computer, …

Just for the records, the UC6 motherboard seems not to be one of the best, and several years ago we had to exchange all the electrolytic capacitors of the board. But even with poor soldering knowledge this is possible an all the Elkos can easily be exchanged.